Fire Crews Working Over Christmas

nipper

It is a fact that we have to have the Fire Service on duty ALL of the time and this includes public holidays. What on earth do some people want from them? It is the same for the crew at the airport...the last thing on earth anybody wants is for them to be utilised.

Any reasonable person should accept the fact that they are available when needed and provide an excellent service when called upon.

Nobody can criticise what their rewards or pay amount to, these are agreed at Government levels and generally driven by the UK.

If anybody feels they are disadvantaged about the pay/work conditions of the Fire service, then why don't they apply to join up if it is such an easy number? If not, keep on whingeing and hope your house doesn't go on fire...especially Boxing day, New Years Eve etc etc.

What I find interesting about this is that the report about fireman working at Christmas This one was made 24/12/2007 05:50:43

There had been a previous report made 24/12/2007 05:31:58

Manx Radio Previous Report

So its sort of a news item out of a news item, like making up your own news like those reporters on Spitting Image all them years ago.

A bit off thread I realise, but you know how the media keep saying things like "red wine is good for you" and then the next month "red wine is bad for you" and all that bollocks. Well the latest one is apparently that tomato ketchup is good to prevent heart attacks. I reckon there has been a reporter taking his usually lunchtime down the pub, desperate for a story and wondering what to write about next. He suddenly spies one of those tomato sauce sachets "I know, I'll do a report about how tomato ketchup once a day could help heart attacks"

It says it in the paper so it must be true.

Here at the hospital this morning it's business as usual with patients to look after, test to be run, x-rays, meals cooked, cleaning done.....

shame the canteen shuts at 12:30.

Firemen? Sat on their fat arses eating turkey.

I'm off to set fire to something.

I am not too sure what your contribution to humanity is at the hospital is, however, I admire anybody who chooses to work on Christmas Day in the public services. It is unfare that you refer to Firemen as being on their 'fat arses eating turkey', these personel are vital to our community and last year I just happened to see two fireman go into a blazing house to recover a woman. The spectacle was incredible and the men were pure heroes as it was clearly obvious that they put their own lives at risk.

Whoever you are 'Joe Public'; please do not make such sweeping statements against the Fire Brigade, they have chosen to put themselves in a position where their lives are at risk every day. If it is such a cushy number, can you explain to everybody why you don't submit an appilication form for such a position?

Hmm.. I really need to work out how to put a 'wink' smiley at the end of my posts.

I didnt really go set fire to something either. ;)

btw, it's not a 'contribution to humanity', it's a job.

'fat arses eating turkey'

Truth of the matter is that on xmas day the main goverment (in particular emergency services) workers that will be actually working and not just turning up will be -

1. Nurses and Doctors at Nobles dealing with inpatients etc

Yeah, because the only people working in hospitals are nurses and doctors. :rolleyes:

Going back to the original point of the thread, I think the problem is that Manx Radio make no real definition between 'news items' and 'features.' Perhaps its time that they did, both on their programmes and their web site.

I also think it would have been more appropriate for us to simply wish a quiet and pleasant christmas day to those who have to work through it - both the emergency services and others.

Here at the hospital this morning it's business as usual with patients to look after, test to be run, x-rays, meals cooked, cleaning done.....

shame the canteen shuts at 12:30.

Firemen? Sat on their fat arses eating turkey.

I'm off to set fire to something.

I am not too sure what your contribution to humanity is at the hospital is, however, I admire anybody who chooses to work on Christmas Day in the public services. It is unfare that you refer to Firemen as being on their 'fat arses eating turkey', these personel are vital to our community and last year I just happened to see two fireman go into a blazing house to recover a woman. The spectacle was incredible and the men were pure heroes as it was clearly obvious that they put their own lives at risk.

Whoever you are 'Joe Public'; please do not make such sweeping statements against the Fire Brigade, they have chosen to put themselves in a position where their lives are at risk every day. If it is such a cushy number, can you explain to everybody why you don't submit an appilication form for such a position?

Hmm.. I really need to work out how to put a 'wink' smiley at the end of my posts.

I didnt really go set fire to something either. ;)

btw, it's not a 'contribution to humanity', it's a job.

Your initial reply was to slag off the Fire Service. You stated that they were on their 'fat arses eating turkey.'

Please note that the reports in the media suggest otherwise and they attended serious incidents over the Christmas period. I am sure that you and your hard working colleagues at the hospital had a very busy time as well and we are very grateful for your efforts. Please do not use this forum as a means to 'strafe' other public services for whatever reasons, it does in a minor way, damage public confidence. As stated earlier, it will be relatively easy for you to submit an application form to join the Fire Service if you feel you are up to it.

Archived