[BBC News] Christmas trees recycled for free

Newsbot

All for recycling, but why have collection points and not have a truck accompanying the normal bin collections specifically for Xmas trees left outside with the bins? The main hassle with a Xmas tree is getting the unfurled tree into your car. Once you have done that, you could drive it anywhere, like to the local civic amenity centre. The collection points mean, again, it is neither one thing nor the other. It probably costs alot (weekend working and all), but doesn't really constitute much of a service unless you live within spitting distance of the collections points, then you could drag your tree (leaving the needles and branches) along the road.

Agree Rhumsaa, but my point is that the hassle is getting it into your car, once it is in there, you could (and you probably would) drive to Timbuktoo. So rather than pretending to provide a service, either provide it by collection with the bins, or don't and require everyone to drop them down to the local tip. It is arguable that this saves large amounts of money for the Corpie; great, have no problem with that but go the extra mile and have a van collecting. That way there is absolutely no excuse for anyone to illegally tip their tree and the Corpie could end up with more trees than they could eat.

Agree Rhumsaa, but my point is that the hassle is getting it into your car, once it is in there, you could (and you probably would) drive to Timbuktoo. So rather than pretending to provide a service, either provide it by collection with the bins, or don't and require everyone to drop them down to the local tip. It is arguable that this saves large amounts of money for the Corpie; great, have no problem with that but go the extra mile and have a van collecting. That way there is absolutely no excuse for anyone to illegally tip their tree and the Corpie could end up with more trees than they could eat.

You would presumably have to have numerous vehicles out collecting though, as should think it wouldn't take many tree to fill most trucks (at least the kind suitable for going door to door)

I agree that once its in the car, you might as well take it to an amenity site, but then you would have to go to the same place as many other people, which would cause congestion, and I think you have to pay at Eastern now?

Additionally, many people are probably unaware of where the amenity site is, whereas everyone knows where at least one of the pick-up points are.

Last time I drove my tree to the tip, I ended up with more pricks in my vehicle, than a coach driver working a mormom convention.

There is always the option to compost it yourself of course - or better still, buy a plastic one that lasts for years if looked after properly.

You would presumably have to have numerous vehicles out collecting though, as should think it wouldn't take many tree to fill most trucks (at least the kind suitable for going door to door)

I agree that once its in the car, you might as well take it to an amenity site, but then you would have to go to the same place as many other people, which would cause congestion, and I think you have to pay at Eastern now?

Additionally, many people are probably unaware of where the amenity site is, whereas everyone knows where at least one of the pick-up points are.

Good point about the congestion at the tips, I hadn't thought of that. But why don't they take the shredding machine with them to shred the trees as they are collected, then they would be able to collect more?

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking the Corpie to take responsibility for the disposal of my Xmas tree, but it is just the half-cocked, ill-thought out 'service' that niggles. What is really happening is the Corpie are asking for our old trees because it will subsidise a cost to them, not because they want to help ratepayers in disposal, but if they present it in that way then they believe they will get more support. If they really wanted to provide a valuable service to ratepayers and wanted to encourage as many people as possible to donate their trees, then the best way to achieve that is to eradicate the most difficult part of getting rid of your tree, getting it into the car.

Alternately, as in the WEEE convention, is to charge the suppliers for disposal after use. This would be passed onto the people needing a fir tree in their house for a month in the initial cost, they will pay because of peer pressure and the 'kiddie factor'. Win win situation. Easy to police as well, garden centre sells x trees, need to produce x trees after Xmas. Cost to corpy (ratepayer)= 0, cost to garden centre = 0, no dumping, no waste, corpy can buy trees off suppliers if they're that desperate for mulch.

Alternately, as in the WEEE convention, is to charge the suppliers for disposal after use. This would be passed onto the people needing a fir tree in their house for a month in the initial cost, they will pay because of peer pressure and the 'kiddie factor'. Win win situation. Easy to police as well, garden centre sells x trees, need to produce x trees after Xmas. Cost to corpy (ratepayer)= 0, cost to garden centre = 0, no dumping, no waste, corpy can buy trees off suppliers if they're that desperate for mulch.

I actually think that is a brilliant idea.

"people needing a fir tree", you seem to have something against a real tree at xmas? Vs a fake tree, a real tree is a far better prospect environmentally, particularly if locally grown.

In Onchan they're welcoming the disposal and using the chips for the new park, so it's good all round. Why fix summit that aint broke?

Archived