Incinerator Total Costs

crumlin

Was getting a bit confused so I thought I should tell you the story so far

DoLGE build an incinerator at a cost of 45 million paid for by taxpayers money

Supposedly four years ago it was agreed that DoLGE would sell the Incinerator to the Isle of Man Bank and lease it back at ?? amount per year which would end up with a total cost to the manx taxpayer of 86 million. Governments reason for doing this is that if they had borrowed the money it would have cost 89 million with this also being subject to possible intrest rises.

Crumlin though is alledging that its not just 86 million because as part of the deal with the bank they have been offered some tax incentives.

The big question I have over this policy of building Capital projects on the never never is that we are now in real terms spending more than our income which I thought was not the way the Island operated in other words if we dont have the Cash we dont do it. The recent history is begining to concern me ie Bonds for both the water authority and the MEA and borrowing money from the NI account for the new hospital. This policy can work as long as your income is sufficient to meet the intrest payments but what happens if it isnt.

And another thing!!!!!!!

What is the life expectancy of the incinerator. If its only 25 years then we would have a worthless building when we own it.

......it is to be reverted back to open land after this....

Eh????? And then what? Build another one? Go back to dumping rubbish in the land?? The mind boggles.

The big question I have over this policy of building Capital projects on the never never is that we are now in real terms spending more than our income which I thought was not the way the Island operated in other words if we dont have the Cash we dont do it. The recent history is begining to concern me ie Bonds for both the water authority and the MEA and borrowing money from the NI account for the new hospital. This policy can work as long as your income is sufficient to meet the intrest payments but what happens if it isnt.

See the Zero Tax Thread.

Archived