[BBC News] Car park vandals hunted

Newsbot

Although the thieves were unsuccessful they have caused a considerable amount of damage running into many thousands of pounds and created significant inconvenience for those motorists who use the car park.

Heh? How? If the machine's broken, it's free for all, or? Not the public's fault that the thing's broken...

Although the thieves were unsuccessful they have caused a considerable amount of damage running into many thousands of pounds and created significant inconvenience for those motorists who use the car park.

Heh? How? If the machine's broken, it's free for all, or? Not the public's fault that the thing's broken...

Chester Street is the multi-story Shoprite one, so the inconvenience is caused by motorists having to walk further to a ticket machine. I'm sure they had big plans for those two minutes.

Those machines are awful anyway, only used them once, what a mission it is to get the ticket out, I tried to grab it and it went back in the machine, I was stood there for minutes poking it to get it out. Blasted technology!

I tried to use this car park a couple of months ago, the first time in years, I must admit. I was aghast that much of what is a 'public' car parking facility had been turned over to the private sector; no wonder parking in Douglas is so difficult and frustrating. No doubt Mister Christian will claim the revenue is benefitting the Douglas ratepayer (though given Douglas rates it's hard to see how) but that is little comfort when there is no parking to be had (unless, of course, your employer is footing the parking slot bill - and don't I recall that the 'private sector' included some 'public' government departmental reserved parking?)

IIRC it's quite expensive there too compared to nearby car parks.

It just proves how thick Douglas ratepayers are. Paying their rates to subsidise private parking for office workers who can afford it, whilst having to pay top drawer rates to park their own cars for a couple of hours. Oh .. and the machines are always broken ... and they don't give change ... and its closed weekends

IIRC it's quite expensive there too compared to nearby car parks.

It just proves how thick Douglas ratepayers are. Paying their rates to subsidise private parking for office workers who can afford it, whilst having to pay top drawer rates to park their own cars for a couple of hours. Oh .. and the machines are always broken ... and they don't give change ... and its closed weekends

But if you opened it at weekend that would be seen as providing a public service and we don't want that now do we? Also if you opened it at weekend, how could you take any glory in providing car parking on the prom at busy times like Christmas? That wouldn't gain any self gratification points whatsoever!

Archived