[BBC News] Ceremony marks Manx icon's death

Newsbot

About 30 or so people came to Malew Church afterwards where my wife led the service in Manx. I preached.

Bernie Caine laid the wreath at the foot of the Illiam Dhone memorial.

Solos led by Phil Gawne, Annie Gawne and Breesha Maddrell were well received.

About 30 or so people came to Malew Church afterwards where my wife led the service in Manx. I preached.

One def: of 'preach' - 'To give advice in an offensive, tedious or obtrusive manner'. Hence about 20 of us went straight to the pub afterwards - no being preached at, just a good music session.

Is there another Illiam Dhone memorial at Malew Church then? It's just that Mark Kermode laid the wreath at the Hango Hill ceremony - Bernard Caine was there but just watching and freezing like the rest of us. Didn't see you there though.

"William Christian, known as Illiam Dhone, surrendered the island to Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War in 1651."

What would the island be like today if he hadn't I wonder?

Cromwell doesn't seem to have been the type to leave what might have been a Royalist stronghold in reach of all three Kingdoms.

EDIT: This is not to say I think the Island would have become a major thorn in his side, just that, from what I have studied on Cromwell, he seems to have had a rather controlling personality.

"William Christian, known as Illiam Dhone, surrendered the island to Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War in 1651."

Cromwell doesn't seem to have been the type to leave what might have been a Royalist stronghold in reach of all three Kingdoms.

...so a dead Illiam Dhone...and a pile of Manx bodies buried with him I spose - with the odds at Illiam Hills in 1651 on him coming out of it smiling being fairly low.

...so a dead Illiam Dhone...and a pile of Manx bodies buried with him I spose - with the odds at Illiam Hills in 1651 on him coming out of it smiling being fairly low.

At this point my ignorance to the story of Illiam Dhone becomes painfully obvious. :)

Much the same as it is. After all, it was one section of the english fighting another. Irrespective of the outcome, the Island would still have been much as it was - a trinket passed back and forth.

If Illiam had resisted there would have been a bloodbath probably including him.

He was in a no win to my mind. He saved manx lives but shortened his own as result.

Probably little different I suspect - the transfer of the Island was towards the end of the Parliamentary period - Earl James was dead (partly because the Stanleys were close in line to the throne) - the Island was very lucky with the Governor set over who left most things alone - it was probably the removal of Earl James and with him the end of his attempt to change the land tenure that was the more important (finally resolved much to the Island's benefit in 1702 Act of Settlement).

William Christian wrote quite an abject letter for clemency to Charles Earl of Derby "as his repentance hath formed him so he might presume that [lost text] greatest fayleinges might obtain a pardone" (Lib Scacc) - WC was basically used as an anti-English figurehead about a century later following revestment (that is when the ballad dates from) - in his own time was regarded as a bully-boy (& had an interesting 'family relationship')

Why can't the Isle of Man celebrate with secular celebrations? The church seems to muscle in on everything.

The public domain should be neutral territory where everybody feels comfortable taking part.

Archived