[BBC News] Ceremony marks Manx icon's death

Newsbot

I got the impression that it was a secular ceremony followed by a religious one in Malew Church, where he was buried?

Correct. Whatever you want. Some want to go to the pub after Hango Hill, some to the church. William Christian's bones are supposed to be buried somewhere near the altar in Malew Church. There is a memorial statue in the church. Many of those who attended the church are interested in the Manx language and want to see it expand .

There are many views on him from his being a patriot to his being a traitor. Certainly the legal process that sent him to the executioners would not stand scrutiny today.

It is dangerous to judge the past by today's standard - after all Sir James Gell THE eminent Manx jurist of 19th C is on record as stating that the outcome was fully determined and legal - the paperwork is minute (see Manx soc publucation) but he refused to plead. One argument is that Charles Earl of Derby, as was his legal right, replaced several members of the Keys before the trial - you might like to look back at lib scacc as to why WC quickly left the Island - it was after the Governor sent a pointed query to the Keys as to what proceedure was to be followed when one of their own members was accused - the Keys were only removed from acting as a court in early 19th C after a number of very questionable and partial acts (by London who also fired a Deemster for similar reasons)

I got the impression that it was a secular ceremony followed by a religious one in Malew Church, where he was buried?

Correct. Whatever you want. Some want to go to the pub after Hango Hill, some to the church. William Christian's bones are supposed to be buried somewhere near the altar in Malew Church. There is a memorial statue in the church. Many of those who attended the church are interested in the Manx language and want to see it expand .

There are many views on him from his being a patriot to his being a traitor. Certainly the legal process that sent him to the executioners would not stand scrutiny today.

Sorry I didn't know there was a connection with the local church.

BUT I still think there is a need for secular celebrations that are open to everybody.

No reason why there cannot be a secular ceremony but Malew Church is where he is buried so it is natural that there is a church ceremony on the anniversary of his death. Many people with very obvious Manx connections in terms of language,culture, heritage, politics put a great deal of time and effort to ensure his memory is honoured at the Church ceremony.

Archived