[BBC News] Gritters to salt island's roads

Newsbot

Gritting lorries are being sent out across the Isle of Man following warnings of snow flurries.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7170526.stm

COUNTRY-ROAD-IN-SNOW.jpg

I have lived in several countries where moderate to high snowfalls were quite common. The gritters were usually out to try to prevent driving conditions from becoming treacherous, and this was particularly helpful if snow-coverings were fairly light.

Did anyone see a gritting wagon on the roads yesterday afternoon before the driving conditions deteriorated?

What was the earliest sighting of a gritter on the roads this morning? I have seen one at about 8.15 am, but admittedly it was probably nearing the end of a run.

Nothing on govt or radio website* about roads being closed etc?

A single up to date source for that kind of information (at a glance) would be useful.

* Now they put some info on the radio website. After everyone has already gone to work! 09:12 they updated the news page.

should the roads be gritted before or after the snowfall ?

Just do what my local council does. Dither about as to whether to grit the roads, wait until it's too late and you've watched everything skid off the road, pedestrians doing silly walk impersonations on the icy pavements, then announce they didn't know it was going to snow or be icy...in Scotland....in January. <_<

Archived