Us Presidential Race

Amadeus

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surreal - just surreal :blink: McCain is desperate, disintegrating, waffling, losing it - must see TV. If you're not watching it now, watch the repeat or something.

Clear win to Obama I'd say. Looking forward to the various reviews tomorrow - Joe the plumber included :)

Really tired of the anecdotal stuff, it's like a manxforums debate not a presedential one!

Mccain comes across as an embittered angry old man, not the calm leader like Obama. The arguments frequently go to Obamas policies not Mccains too. Obama doesn't need to criticise Mccains policies, he just needs to keep supporting his own and let Mccain hang himself.

I still think it's going to be close. The worlds in such a mess because of the general underestimation of just how stoopid Americans can be.

IMO, people are also underestimating the American desire to have balanced politics - e.g. Republicans in the White House - Democrats in the chamber.

I still think it's going to be close. The worlds in such a mess because of the general underestimation of just how stoopid Americans can be.

Yes, it still remains to be seen how many will actually put an X in the box for a black man on the day. Good debate last night finally though, they actually faced each other, about time.

Wtf - McCain is completely disintegrating. Obama far better, far calmer. McC is just waffling and blinking - he's close to being surreal..

I watched the repeat last night. I didn't think McCain completely disintegrated, but wasn't so calm and composed. McCain was clearly pitching in a very different style from Obama - Jo the Plumber, American Dream etc. Much more folksy and simple, while Obama took a more intelligent approach that might be criticised as intellectual and elitist, and 'washington circle'. Some of the waffling might be repetition of simple message. For many American hicks, McCain's style would have far more appeal. Not my thing, and I think McCain pointing and wagging his finger at Obama was a mistake. Also it was possibly a mistake by McCain to say 'when I am president' (arrogant). (and the Jo the Plumber, in touch with the 'ordinary jo' slant became embarrassing).

However most of all McCain's blinking stood out for me. In TV age and importance of visual cues and body language, I think this would have done him no good at all. It broke the connection with the viewer, made him appear less confident, competent and in command, and this was particularly so in his closing remarks - addressing the nation, and a taste of what he might be like in a presidential broadcast as it were.

By contrast I didn't notice Obama put a foot wrong. As ever he was a star performer, and projecting presidential qualities.

There's been quite a few organisational psychology studies of leadership and groups. Particularly in crisis, groups heavily favour someone who projects the typical leadership image which the group is used to. Plans, policies, intelligence, ability etc. have suprisingly little to do with it.

By contrast I didn't notice Obama put a foot wrong. As ever he was a star performer, and projecting presidential qualities.

That's what puts me off Obama. He's got all the technical skill of a performer, but his very use of it makes him appear bland and lacking in substance, at least in my eyes. Whenever I see him speak, I'm reminded of Blair - ambition wedded to style, but not much content or inspiration and little to distinguish himself other than the fact he's not the guy everyone wants to get rid of.

I'm not much of a fan of McCain these days either, but I just don't understand all the hype about Obama. He strikes me as little more than just another political operator. As for arrogance, not much beats his quasi-state visits to European capitals.

However most of all McCain's blinking stood out for me. In TV age and importance of visual cues and body language, I think this would have done him no good at all. It broke the connection with the viewer, made him appear less confident, competent and in command, and this was particularly so in his closing remarks - addressing the nation, and a taste of what he might be like in a presidential broadcast as it were.

Archived