Us Presidential Race

Amadeus

More than double the college seats of McCain, landslide, probably. Nice to see the majority of yanks getting sick of all these warmongers, penny looks to have dropped. I can see a bit of an uprising though, in a country so inherently racist, i wonder how the backwater towns and cities will react, the KKK were in the paper again this week saying they were ready to go to war if he got in. The coverage last night kept banging on about the amount of black and under 30's had turned out to vote, a whopping 75% of the country voted compared to 64% voting when Bush came to power.

I'm glad Obama won, the world needs healing, a change at the top of american politics was the only sane thing that could happen. I'm surprised McCain even got off the ground as a candidate anyway, doddery old fool, i can't believe he had so many voted for him.

On a side note, the ITV coverage was appalling, apart from the fact they kept wheeling out comedian's to discuss it, and the presenter interupting and creaming himself every time someone so much as breathed in his earpiece. At one point they'd had McCain at 103 and Obama at 36 for a full half hour, and talking about it too when i got bored and turned over to BBC, where they had it as Obama at 103 and McCain at 36, when i turned back they'd corrected it! Seeing as they'd made such a big deal of the coverage with so many commentators, someone was bound to get sacked over that! Car crash tv at its best, shame i had to be up for work this morning or i'd have watched it all night!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see a bit of an uprising though, in a country so inherently racist, i wonder how the backwater towns and cities will react, the KKK were in the paper again this week saying they were ready to go to war if he got in.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a backlash from his own supporters if the promised change doesn't come too.

In perspective though: so far 57 million votes Obama, 52 million votes McCain (51.8% : 47%).

Some more perspective:

Year 2000 George W. Bush: 50,456,002, Al Gore 50,999,897 (47.87% : 48.38%)

Recon you could make that film today?

It's one of my favourite movies but I doubt they could re-make it today. Basically portraying drug use as fun is a big no-no.

When he moves in are they going to re-name it "The Black House"?

were just talking about Obama I wonder if he'll ever give us as many great quotes as Dubya...

In no order whatsoever :

20. "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - Nov. 28, 2005

19. "We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans." - Sept. 6, 2000

18. "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." - Dec. 19, 2000

17. "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." - Aug. 30, 2000

16. "I think we agree, the past is over." - May 10, 2000

15. "I understand small business growth. I was one." - Feb. 19, 2000

14. "This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating." - April 23, 2002

13. "I want everybody to hear loud and clear that I'm going to be the president of everybody." - Jan. 18, 2001

12. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - Jan. 3, 2000

11. "I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will." - Oct. 5, 2002

10. "I just want you to know that when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." - June 18, 2002

9. "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." - May 25, 2004

8. "I firmly believe the death tax is good for people from all walks of life all throughout our society." - Aug. 13, 2002

7. "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." - Sept. 17, 2002

6. "The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." - Oct. 8, 2004

5. "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - Sept. 29, 2000

4. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Aug. 5, 2004

3. "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" - Jan. 11, 2000

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - Jan. 27, 2000

1. "They misunderestimated me." - Nov. 6, 2000

:lol::D:P

I didnt think that America was caspable of electing anything other than a WASP, i am soooo pleased to be very wrong about that.

All policies apart----America has made a big leap forward for the better-------Goodonem :D

The best quote I heard today was: 'George Bush - forgotten but not gone'. The sooner Bush is gone the better.

I feel quite optimistic following this election that we might at last see a start to an end to the dark age of the past 8 years: the war mongering and the undoing of the resultant quasi-fascist/police state bullshit built on the back of it, that has fundamentally undermined civil liberties both here and in the US.

Now it's time to build bridges, not blow them up. A black president will make a difference IMO in many countries, and will be seen as far less threatening than the 'white, aggresive, colonialist, inarticulate half-wit' that was Bush.

I hope so anyway.

Thanks for that Pongo, especially liked this bit ;

"Citizens with eyes, ears, and the ability to wake up and realize what truly matters in the end are also believed to have played a crucial role in Tuesday's election."

What really brought the significance of it home to me were the scenes of Joy from Howard University - all those young black people finally believing that racism has had its day.

Wasn't so surprised to see Jesse Jackson so emotional - he was crying because the man who had just been elected commander in chief of the most powerful military organization in the world is the same man who only a few weeks ago Jesse said he would like to rip the nuts off.

PK My ex-colonial neighbour thinks the world has gone mad now that a Black Kenyan is President of the USA, he still can't accept that a Black Kenyan is President of Kenya. He came out with the lame 'Black House' comment recently too.

Archived