Amadeus

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Super Tuesday is underway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7227637.stm

hbucpzgqpxgenr467xaed6.jpg

About time someone else took over - GW's new budget is just more of the catastrophic same:

Bush presents $3 trillion budget

The plan includes the $145bn economic stimulus plan agreed with congressional leaders, as well as $70bn to continue funding wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Against a worsening economic backdrop, it forecasts a deficit of over $400bn......

.......The defence department's budget is set to increase by 7.5% and the Department of Homeland Security's by 11%.

Mr Bush has also asked for additional funds to combat illegal immigration, proposing a 17% increase for customs and immigration enforcement and to help meet the costs of a fence on the border with Mexico.

However, much of the rest of the government faces a spending squeeze.

Mr Bush is seeking almost $200bn in savings over five years from the health care programmes Medicare and Medicaid, which help the elderly and the poor.

From today's Independent:

Clinton has emerged as the 6/4 favourite to become the next US President, according to bookmakers Ladbrokes. The New York Senator won the night's biggest prize but still has a long way to go to shake off Barack Obama.

John McCain is now the 7/4 second favourite for the White House after he surged ahead in Republican primaries and bookies have suspended betting on him getting the GOP nomination.

Clinton is odds on at 8/13 to secure her party's candidature with Obama 5/4.

Clinton has emerged as the 6/4 favourite to become the next US President, according to bookmakers Ladbrokes. The New York Senator won the night's biggest prize but still has a long way to go to shake off Barack Obama.

John McCain is now the 7/4 second favourite for the White House after he surged ahead in Republican primaries and bookies have suspended betting on him getting the GOP nomination.

I've put my money on the 13/13 chance whoever gets in will be a fuckwit bent on destroying the world.

I've put my money on the 13/13 chance whoever gets in will be a fuckwit bent on destroying the world.

I don't think Schwarzenneger qualifies for the presidency.

I don't think Schwarzenneger qualifies for the presidency.

The scary thing is Arnie seems to be one of the more level headed politicians over there and would certainly make a better president than Dubya (unless you're a resident of Springfield, that is ;) )

Americans must be the luckiest voters in the World at the moment - imagine having an election where all three of the choices are a marked improvement on what you had before.

• 2 weeks later...
Going sideways on this, I watched the news and it struck me that americans in general seem much more willing/eager to engage in their political process. Was this just my impression or is the average american in the street more interested in the whole democracy thing than we are? Seems to me that we have a lot of cynicism/disinterest and actually can't be that bothered.

I think you are right. People in Britain and Isle of Man are less interested in the political process. But Americans are more eager to believe that their 'democracy' is something that actually works for the people and is a very good system. Without being aware of the problems or alternatives I would suppose it is very easy for the mass majority of Americans to see politics as nothing more than Democrats vs Republican, and in presidential campaigns such as these, who is more charismatic of the two candidates. I doubt the majority of voters are concerned mainly with what the policies of these two candidates are.

I did read something that makes a comparison between current apathy in the political process in Britain and those of the French twenty years ago. But I don't personally feel there is anything wrong in people being disinherited in the current system and I think it says a lot when people can't be bothered voting. It is certainly no fault of the citizen. If the citizen believed that they could genuinely participate to an even limited degree in the decionmaking process in a liberal democracy I am of the opinion that people would be more eager to get involved.

The yanks I have met both here and on my travels have been well informed & well educated, but they tend to have come from the east or west coast

In between is a great mass of rednecks who are thick as fuck, watch junk tv, believe in junk religion and eat junk food. They make watching a footy match in Jaks look like the Oxford Union debating society

I once lived amongst these people and IMO they would sooner vote for a horse than a black man or a woman

The yanks I have met both here and on my travels have been well informed & well educated, but they tend to have come from the east or west coast

I think it is very interesting to compare Britain with America. I do think though that a great deal of British people are very informed on politics, but there is just so little reason to bother voting. I do not know a lot about the American system but I wonder whether I am right in thinking that the Americans believe their political system works for everyone, or at least the majority of people. Is it just a small minority who show so much fervour in these elections or is it a reflection of a great faith in their political system.

Archived