[BBC News] Vehicle thefts increase on island

Newsbot

Why is it that these days people think that if somebody leaves the keys in their car it is 'acceptable' for some little shite to come along and nick it. Oh you left the keys in, then it's your own fault. No it's not - stealing is unacceptable whether the keys are in the car or not. At what point will be become your own fault that your car gets stolen if you don't lock it away in a garage for the night.

Lets define stupidity: Your insurance company will laugh its head off and deny the claim if you left the keys in - so I would say that is the basic benchmark of stupidity - your cars been nicked and you won't get any money back on it because you invited someone to steal it by not properly securing it.

No, the stupid bit would be telling the insurance company you left the keys in it.

Lets define stupidity: Your insurance company will laugh its head off and deny the claim if you left the keys in - so I would say that is the basic benchmark of stupidity - your cars been nicked and you won't get any money back on it because you invited someone to steal it by not properly securing it.

No, the stupid bit would be telling the insurance company you left the keys in it.

It would be in the police report would it not?

Lets define stupidity:

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's actually a good idea to leave a car unlocked with the keys in it, but just making the point that they shouldn't actually have to.

I think the old bill are only trying to encourage the minority who do leave keys in the ignition of unlocked cars of the potential consequences of their neglect. Having read the press release, it doesn't actually lay the blame at anyone's door. It's standard advice - take it or leave it.

Lets define stupidity:

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's actually a good idea to leave a car unlocked with the keys in it, but just making the point that they shouldn't actually have to.

What next, tell shop keepers shop lifting is their own fault for leaving goods on the shelves for people to buy?

Lets define stupidity:

What next, tell shop keepers shop lifting is their own fault for leaving goods on the shelves for people to buy?

I think either your quoting skills leave a little to be desired Albert or you may have the wrong end of the stick but I agree with you.

Lets define stupidity:

Albert's it's already been done. A few years back, a retailer who had his window smashed and goods taken was told by a policeman: "...well if there weren't such tempting items in the window...."

Archived