[BBC News] Calls for pay increase in Tynwald

Newsbot

As some politicians appear to have an appetite for performance pay, perhaps a more democratic way would be for their pay rises to be put back to those who elected them for office for endorsement e.g. the Manx public. Whilst the case could be made for some politicians deserving a pay rise, the public may not feel the same applies to all. After a year in office it would be interesting to see whether all the election promises made have been achieved (or even started) and thus merit an increase.

Well, apart from objecting to building in the middle of Farmhill (which he had done ad naseum, and has changed tack on several occasions, in each case with tenuous reasons 'why not' - trees, newts, traffic and then historical property), I have heard nothing from my MHK. I haven't heard his name mentioned in the media recently, so I assume that he has 'gone quiet'.

Tynwald members are to consider whether to award themselves pay rises totalling almost £90,000.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7172997.stm

Does it not say "The motion says the sum is excess expenditure in respect of increased salaries following the 2007/8 pay award." i.e. they are asking for an additional £90k over and above what they budgeted?

Therefore someone either got the sums wrong in the first place, or someone got more than they should. Perhaps we should adopt 360 appraisals for our MHK's, then they might get around to speaking to us other than at election times?

Archived