[BBC News] Clarkson stung after bank prank

Newsbot

Glad it went to charity!

Your account number and sort code is on every cheque though, so not sure how the guy managed to get money out of the Jeremy's account, perhaps as its for charity, they don't use many security measures?

Fuck off :)

Couple of points, as I can't resist:

- This shows the need for stronger personal authentication and security, not the elimination of them.

- This could only happen to payments to certain large organisations that banks accept DD's from without a signature, very hard to actually scam someone like this and gain

- DD's are reversable

- He (should) have received notification when the DD was set up, the law says 10 days notice in advance

DD's are bloody scary and weak though, sillyness abounds. But technically Clarkson was still right in what he did originally, nobodys scammed him of the dosh, just inconvenienced him with a daft transfer to a large organisation.

Would it not be the responsibility of the bank check the DD mandate for a signature?

Like I said, the banks accept DD's from some large organisations and utilities without a signature. All official and above board, no signature required. The banks basically trust em.

Would it not be the responsibility of the bank check the DD mandate for a signature?

Like I said, the banks accept DD's from some large organisations and utilities without a signature. All official and above board, no signature required. The banks basically trust em.

Agreed - all of my utility bills are DD and I've never had to sign a thing, all have been arranged over the phone.

Good to see JC taking it in good spirits ;)

Oxfordshire-based TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson with a holiday home in the Isle of Man loses money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/entert...ent/7174760.stm

fixed

Well he has houses everywhere I think, 2 on the isle of Man, 1 or more in London......

For the purpose of IOM news I guess its best to say "Manx based".....

You should go into politics. As long as you're convinced, then I suppose we can all sleep safely in our beds tonight :o

It seems that when someone gets a little too much fame they actually start to think they can say anything and it will be classed as words of infallible wisdom. A bit like the bloke down the pub or the archetypal taxi driver, except they are only talking to fellow pish-heads or a few people a day that can be bothered to listen.

The guy maybe good at presenting TV programmes but when it comes to personal banking security I think I'll take advice from elsewhere.

Archived