[BBC News] Clarkson stung after bank prank

Newsbot

Glad it went to charity!

Your account number and sort code is on every cheque though, so not sure how the guy managed to get money out of the Jeremy's account, perhaps as its for charity, they don't use many security measures?

In my experience, despite the fact that your bank expects you to give out your a/c number and sort code regularly (on cheques, to anyone you ever want to send you money by bank transfer, etc) they are all that is needed to set up a DD on your account in many cases. We had a UK account used for business, where we freely handed out these details to make it easy for people to pay us by bank transfer, and then had repetitive, endless trouble with fraudulent DDs being set up, often for mobile phone contracts, etc. We had to specifically cancel every one and ask for the money to be returned (it was each time, but what a faff!), and despite specifically telling the bank that we wanted them to stop allowing DDs from that account (we had none set up ourselves, nor any plans to set any up, and would have been happy to go thro' extra security if we wanted to set a genuine one up at some point in the future) they said they could do nothing, and we'd have to keep cancelling each one as it appeared.

Nightmare.

Why you don't need a verified signature, or some sort of password or pin, for this sort of thing I don't know.

Equally disturbingly, last time I went to the bank and said "please transfer X amount of money from this account to that account" and produced the relevant a/c numbers & sort codes (scribbled on a scrap of paper), they did so without asking for any ID to prove that I could legitimately remove money from the account in question. Marvelous.

Manx based? - what the f**k does that mean? Island based maybe? perhaps Isle of Man based? even Manx resident? But Manx based? What a load of bollocks. Is this what we have the BBC for?

Wow you sure do get upset by the smallest things. How's your blood pressure?

Manx based? - what the f**k does that mean? Island based maybe? perhaps Isle of Man based? even Manx resident? But Manx based? What a load of bollocks. Is this what we have the BBC for?

Wow you sure do get upset by the smallest things. How's your blood pressure?

Ah, ah, ah thats better

Archived