Winter Vomiting Virus Threat

nipper

Well, it seems I have to concede something on this one. "3 Million" hit by Winter Vomiting Bug - BBC News

However, that figure is only an estimate as the doom and gloom figures are derived from the magic formula that "For every one of the 1,922 reported cases, it is estimated another 1,500 have been unreported.".

So basically, there is a factor not of 2, not of 3, not even of 10, but of 1,500 who don't feel the need to go to their doctor about the ailment. Perhaps they should all go and see their doctor or at least report their illness. Then we would have a problem.

But the whole point of the broadcast was to advise people of the bug, how to enforce stringent hygiene measures, and tell them NOT to go to their doctor or the hospital, but to ring for advice.

I had the 2006 edition of the Winter Womiting Wirus and, I can tell you, it was not pleasant and very debilitating (the only time I have ever fainted was with this nasty little critter). Not the kind of infection that anyone with any other health issue really needs, or probably is able, to cope with.

So, instead of being critical, why not understand the point of the broadcast which was to inform healthy people that it does pass, how to prevent passing it on and, most importantly, do not risk passing it on to those that are particularly vulnerable.

As for the comedy, well there wasn't much comedy apart from the parody on the Stig. Hardly a flogging offence, and indicates to me that Dr Kish is probably an alright chap for accepting the gentle send up!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the reason for my post is that over the past three years I have never come across anyone with any such illness. In fact I have listened to Manx Radio Interviews on the virus far, far more times than I have come across sick people with it. Perhaps I lead a very sheltered life.

Clearly from the BBC reports and posters on this forum the virus is there and unpleasant and there's lots of it about. Sorry to those of you who have experienced it. Anyway, my last post more or less conceded my initial point. Perhaps I should have come straight out with it and declared myself a right tw*t for raising the subject in the first place. Perhaps this thread has raised the profile of the norovirus more?

I still lie in my bed fearing we could all be doomed though and with the impending bread and other food shortages, maybe we will all be lining the streets starving like Biafra and other African places and we'll have swollen bellies and flies around our mouths and the BBC will bring some cameras to show the world our plight and there could be a big pop concert at the newly refurbished Wembley and all that.

Take your point on the doomsayers, but a bit of common sense normally deals with that. On the other hand, I know several people who have been affected by the WVV, so I know that is a real problem. Just surprised that you know of no-one affected; perhaps drinking the surgical spirit works! :D

Archived