Drink Drive Arrests Almost Double

nipper

I'm not sure that getting on a bus is the best option either. There seems to be a drink and drive culture amongst certain drivers in any case, that problem has never been tackled effectively.

Certain drivers have been observed out on the town for a long period on several occasions and seen driving a bus at 8am the following day. A friend of mine got a bus from Peel recently to avoid drinking and driving, only to find the driver smelling of booze and obviously under the influence. He decided, against my advice, not to report the man.

Surely PSV drivers should be breath tested prior to every shift? I am sure that in the event of an incident that guilty knowledge would not be too difficult to prove. A shame for the majority of responsible drivers though.

As regards the issue of drink driving, how are you punishing everybody? - you're only banning/fining/jailing fuckwits not innocent people.

Surely PSV drivers should be breath tested prior to every shift? I am sure that in the event of an incident that guilty knowledge would not be too difficult to prove. A shame for the majority of responsible drivers though.

I disagree that should be the case. Again, why punish all for the actions of one or few? And where do you draw the line: Doctors tested prior to every operation or consultation? Street cleaners in charge of a handcart that could cause an accident if mishandled? Lollypop men and women? Every car driver?

I wish we could get rid of this misguided atitutude that seems to abound these days, that suggests we punish everyone for the actions of a few - plus I wish more people thought about the consequences of such an approach. This attitude pervades every aspect of our lives in the UK and the Isle of Man these days, and ensures everyone is suspect and treated as guilty before innocent. This is not a sign of a liberal democracy, it is the attitude of a police state and the mindset of the lynch mob.

The real answer surely lies in stiffer penalties and jail sentences for bus drivers and others responsible for many lives caught doing this. It is only through such deterrents that these people will understand the consequences of their daily actions (such as the wiseness of a trip to the pub that day in relation to their next shift) and be made to understand that society will not tolerate such behaviour and will judge it harshly.

I think thats a good idea. I never have a problem when they walk that drug dog round Douglas and it has a sniff. I know I'm not carrying anything naughty and I have no problem with proving that by letting the dog do his sniffing. Hardly an inconvenience is it?

Face it, year after year there's drink driving campaigns and the fuckwits will still drink and drive regardless. Anything that tips the odds more against them has got to be a plus - btw I had a HGV and wouldn't have had any problem with being tested everyday if required. Wheres the problem?

I disagree that should be the case. Again, why punish all for the actions of one or few? And where do you draw the line: Doctors tested prior to every operation or consultation? Street cleaners in charge of a handcart that could cause an accident if mishandled? Lollypop men and women? Every car driver?

I wish we could get rid of this misguided atitutude that seems to abound these days, that suggests we punish everyone for the actions of a few - plus I wish more people thought about the consequences of such an approach. This attitude pervades every aspect of our lives in the UK and the Isle of Man these days, and ensures everyone is suspect and treated as guilty before innocent. This is not a sign of a liberal democracy, it is the attitude of a police state and the mindset of the lynch mob.

The real answer surely lies in stiffer penalties and jail sentences for bus drivers and others responsible for many lives caught doing this. It is only through such deterrents that these people will understand the consequences of their daily actions (such as the wiseness of a trip to the pub that day in relation to their next shift) and be made to understand that society will not tolerate such behaviour and will judge it harshly.

I quite agree on reflection, however how are these people going to be brought to task if people are unwilling to report them? It really means that something serious must happen in order to catch them, not the most responsible way to manage a potentially lethal situation.

I'll name you a place where the wee drunken bastards can roll along at 2,3,4,and 5 in the morning still drinking - Broadway, Victoria Road, Hutchinson Square, Anystreet near Douglas Promenade.

I don't think these are the type of people who would be jumping in their cars, i.e. those who are that drunk they are rolling about the place.

I very much agree. It does seem to be the way things are going that it is everyone's freedoms that are taken away because of the actions of a few.

Though I don't think the answer lies in stiffer penalties and certainly not jail sentences. I just don't see how a longer sentence would prove to be an effective deterrent unless the sentence is to be ridiculously long, say 10 years. But if the person was only slightly over the limit and had made no 'impact' whilst driving then a long sentence would seem completely out of proportion. Certainly, if it is simply on your record that you were caught drink driving as a bus driver you wouldn't be employed in such a role again.

I think that those who drink drive do it because the likelihood of not being CAUGHT. If action is taken why not take away their car. Sidney's response seems more sensible.

I do like the idea of more public transport that runs late at night and at certain times that someone previously mentioned. At least it is a good alternative to people choosing to take their car.

Archived