A Necessary Education?

Lonan3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW - Whats this 'little fishy sign' stuff all about? I don't get it.

Skrappey's attention deficiency. Trying to bring religious paranoia into a debate about manners.

Clearly that, in itself, is bad manners? I propose a public flogging!

Skrappey's attention deficiency. Trying to bring religious paranoia into a debate about manners.

Actually, he has brought relegion, class, the masons and politics into the discussion. Clearly, not someone you would want to invite to a civilised dinner party, even if he does know what fork to use.

Although some etiquette is out of date, general manners and courtesy are still very important.

fish stuff

The fish symbol has been used for millennia worldwide as a religious symbol associated with the Pagan Great Mother Goddess. It is the outline of her vulva.

In China, Great Mother Kwan-yin was often portrayed in the shape of a fish

In India, the Goddess Kali was called the "fish-eyed one"

In Egypt, Isis was called the Great Fish of the Abyss

The Greek word "delphos" meant both fish and womb. The word is derived from the location of the ancient Oracle at Delphi who worshipped the original fish goddess, Themis.

The symbol itself, the eating of fish on Friday and the association of the symbol with deity were all taken over by the early Church from Pagan sources. Only the sexual component was deleted.

And, returning to the subject, when confronted with fish on the bone at dinner you should:

Using a fish knife or a dinner knife, insert the tip roughly in the middle of the fish at the head end. You should be able to feel the start of the spine beneath the surface with your knife. Cut through the meat along the spine all the way down to the tail. Then slide the knife under the meat so it is flat against the vertebrae. Use the knife and the back of a spoon to push the fillet of meat away from the spine. If the fish is cooked correctly, the fillet should slide away easily. Do the same with the fillet on the other side of the spine, then turn the fish over and repeat the process for both fillets on the other half of the fish. You can now get rid of the skeleton, head and tail and have four boneless fillets to enjoy.

However, it is interesting how these manners came into being and that most do serve a more practical purpose than being a ploy to trip up the unwary. For example, it is bad manners in the US to continue to hold your knife after cutting your food. It should be placed back on the plate as not to do so would mean you were effectively 'armed' and a potential threat throughout the meal. Something to do with the frontier days when the knife used was a serious item, not just a dinner implement. May even be from earlier days when the knife used at the table was the dagger from the belt.

Yeah, an american ex of mine was continually offended by the way that brits wouldn't put their knives down while they ate. According to him, you had to do "fork swapping", where you cut up the food with the knife in your right hand and the fork in your left and then put the knife down and swap the fork to your right hand to eat. Bleeding nora. He didn't last long in the UK.

An american friend told me that you put your knife down to keep your right hand free for easy access to your gun!!! Whilst eating you are seen as being off your guard. The moving the fork to the right hand is a more recent thing as many/most people are right handed and find it easier.

This whole subject is interesting and all valid. When I interview people, I have made 25% of my decision before the person even speaks. It is 50% before we get to their education, experience and qualifications. The persons manners and the way they condct themselves is ultra important. Whether it is an high flying position or a shop assistant manners maketh man

What really pisses me off is resteraunts with a "cachet" who give you a fish knife for , say a prawn cocktail.

Mr waiter, why have you given me a knife designed to lift the bone out of a lemon sole, to scarf my prawn coctail with, effing amateurs :angry:

Quite a few years ago, I was interviewing candidates for a sales position, I'd be mid twenties, this chap was just shy of 40. After 5 minutes, during which for at least 3 minutes he'd got his finger up his nose, I asked him "if he'd pick his nose when dealing with customers," he replied, he'd never felt so insulted, and wouldn't want to work for such a rude young upstart, like myself, he then stood up and marched out.

What really pisses me off is resteraunts with a "cachet" who give you a fish knife for , say a prawn cocktail.

Mr waiter, why have you given me a knife designed to lift the bone out of a lemon sole, to scarf my prawn coctail with, effing amateurs :angry:

That happened to me once. Totally ruined my evening, couldn't sleep for days afterwards

Although some etiquette is out of date, general manners and courtesy are still very important.

fish stuff

Thank you Mission and Lonan3, my religious edu-ma-cation is finally complete. TBH honest, if I was the jesusman I'd be a little miffed at having a fish as my religious symbol (one of the many I am sure), not the most handsome of creatures. I'd want something like a dragon, or a tiger. Something fearful anyways, get all them there Christians shaking in their boots.

But trying to stay on topic-ish, I think manners are alot more important that etiquette - but I think I said that before!

That happened to me once. Totally ruined my evening, couldn't sleep for days afterwards

Yeah, me too :(

[cant believe i posted that now, a senior moment maybe?]

Archived