Millions Risk Drugs Online

Charles Flynn

I was actually talking about the use of the logo originally.

Thanks for acknowledging that there's bugger all that can be done about websites hosted outside of Britain, which is where the vast majority of these websites are. That's pretty much clinched it as a pointless exercise.

I was actually talking about the use of the logo originally.

Thanks for acknowledging that there's bugger all that can be done about websites hosted outside of Britain, which is where the vast majority of these websites are. That's pretty much clinched it as a pointless exercise.

Well I am not disagreeing with you completely - there is a point if you want to safeguard your health. If you do not really care whether you live or die, there is little anyone can do.

The effectiveness of the logo was tested in a pilot study last year according to the RPSGB. It works if you want it to work.

Regulating supplies from outside Britain must be down to international agreements and the Customs & Excise people.

Hopefully it will reduce the number of people who put themselves at risk.

How? The vast majority of online drug buyers are online because they can't buy what they want from a legitimate pharmacy. So this logo scheme doesn't actually protect anyone, right?

My personal view is that the law needs to be tightened up and applied rigorously. Currently it is not illegal to buy, only illegal to sell if you are not a registered pharmacy. If there was a penalty for buying from illegitimate sources there would be plenty of people who would stop doing it.

That's a bit of a minefield innit. Making it illegal to buy anything not on prescription? You'd have to classify all sorts of drugs to allow that surely?

I'm sure it's not a co-incidence that there's a registration fee that needs to be paid before you can display the logo too.

Everything has its price and policing has to be paid for. The pharmacist registration fee went from £283 to £395 p.a. this year!

Does anyone have any links for these unauthorised chemists?

Purely for research purposes *cough*

No doubt they will be able to "kill" it!

And introducing a worthless logo that British pharmacies will be sure to increase 2008 revenue, while leaving the offending pharmacies selling the illegal medicines laughing even louder. Excellent.

Hopefully it will reduce the number of people who put themselves at risk.

How? The vast majority of online drug buyers are online because they can't buy what they want from a legitimate pharmacy. So this logo scheme doesn't actually protect anyone, right?

My personal view is that the law needs to be tightened up and applied rigorously. Currently it is not illegal to buy, only illegal to sell if you are not a registered pharmacy. If there was a penalty for buying from illegitimate sources there would be plenty of people who would stop doing it.

That's a bit of a minefield innit. Making it illegal to buy anything not on prescription? You'd have to classify all sorts of drugs to allow that surely?

Well that's the problem so it just isn't going to happen.

And introducing a worthless logo that British pharmacies will be sure to increase 2008 revenue, while leaving the offending pharmacies selling the illegal medicines laughing even louder. Excellent.

Hopefully there are a significant number of sensible people about who recognise that drugs can harm themselves or their children. This scheme provides information for those who wish to use it.

Archived