Your Personal Details

Sharp

This list is pretty freekin specific to most people:

[*]The government cannot be trusted when it comes to storing our information (I have my biometrics to hide, but fear they will lose them).

Aye, but most of it seems to be an opportunity to once again sprout your daily mail style personal agenda, rather than what I was asking about. For example, the first point, how is the Belgium government any more trustworthy than the UK government?

You claim I cycle around the issue of where data capture is leading us. I don't. Know full well where we are in regards to data capture, and there really isn't any going back. What we need to do is secure it better and protect the individual.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't feed him anymore Cronky - he is either a wind-up merchant, just thick, or more likely both. How many times have both of us told him all this before? It beggars belief the number of people that don't take these issues seriously, and ignoring the consequences of where they are taking both the UK and the island.

I don't think it really matters Albert. Manxforums is good fun but I doubt whether the powers that be take much notice of these anonymous debates. The real discussions about whether the Isle of Man is getting ID cards takes place in other quarters. I doubt if anyone influential will be swayed by people being het up and emotional. We're in a side show here and that fact needs to be kept in proportion.

This list is pretty freekin specific to most people:

[*]The government cannot be trusted when it comes to storing our information (I have my biometrics to hide, but fear they will lose them).

Aye, but most of it seems to be an opportunity to once again sprout your daily mail style personal agenda, rather than what I was asking about. For example, the first point, how is the Belgium government any more trustworthy than the UK government?

You claim I cycle around the issue of where data capture is leading us. I don't. Know full well where we are in regards to data capture, and there really isn't any going back. What we need to do is secure it better and protect the individual.

The Belgian government isn't anymore trustworthy than the UK government. I have explained to you already that I fundamentally believe that the state is there to serve us, and not vice-versa - and that should be the same in every country IMO in an ideal world. But I don't have a vote in Belgium - or Chad or Mongolia either - and have little interest in what they do there unless it affects us (apart from EU related activities which do affect us), which is why I don't stick my beak into their affairs, not like the US do with the UKs, or the US and UK do with the islands' affairs.

That list is what HAS happened under Labour, NOT what could happen, and all the legislation HAS been passed. There are always ways of going back - ID cards were introduced during World War 2, and they tried to keep them going, until the police were taken to court in 1951 and they were judged to "tend to turn law-abiding subjects into law breakers". Moreover, the government are proving on a daily basis that they cannot be trusted with our data, amongst other things, which is reason enough for us to ensure that our identities our protected by ourselves, and argue against the UK governments approach.

And I do not read the Daily Mail. Mine are Liberal-Democratic fundamental philosophies (which you should not confuse with the Liberal Democart party). Considering that we are all supposed to be living in a Liberal-Democracy, what is so strange about that? I am all for using technology to protect and prove my ID, but not as a subject in a virtual police state.

It's obviously a balance between protection and control, and in the case of some of the anti-terror laws rushed in, I'd agree that they've gone too far. With identiy though, we're woefully under protected, there's more work needs to be done, and such protections really only work if they're compulsary, and if the Government can't run such a scheme, I don't know who can.

Archived