Horse Trams

lectro

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Horse-trams...0000.3662030.jp

Surprised no one has commented on it yet. Personally it used to bug the shit out of me when I was a Douglas ratepayer. However I still think it's a gross waste of money, expensive to use and a nuisance to motorists. Either run it so that it pays for itself or get rid of. I'd rather the £271k was spent on something else. Monkeys maybe. I'd like a huge enclosure on the Prom gardens filled with monkeys. It's about as useful and as much a tourist attraction as the trams.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tracks could be used as part of a fast tram service from Ramsey to Port Erin, just link the Sea Terminal to the Railway Station? Get some modern rolling stock and the steam trains and the MER could still operate.

I suspect that would cost close to £100 million if you looked into it.

I'm not a great fan of the horse trams...in fact when I get stuck behind them and a lorry and 36 cars when I'm late for something I absolutly despise them, their drivers, the horses and their passengers! Also i'm just waiting to hit one of the tracks wrong in the wet on the bike and get wiped out! But I can see how they make the prom a bit different for tourists or kids so if they could make them cheaper to run then I don't see a problem.

It's a difficult one the horse trams. They are part of our culture and heritage, yet their customers that were part of our heritage are long gone in the main.

Getting rid of the conductors might be seen as a dangerous option, because one accident without a conductor might lead to a successful suing (claiming inadequate supervision etc.) - undermining any savings made.

Perhaps there is a compromise. If they dug up both tracks and laid a single track in the centre of the road, this would make everyone happier i.e. keep the trams, reduce the number of trams and the operating costs, maintain a conductor and cover the associated 'safety' issues, whilst improving traffic flow.

Perhaps there is a compromise. If they dug up both tracks and laid a single track in the centre of the road, this would make everyone happier i.e. keep the trams, reduce the number of trams and the operating costs, maintain a conductor and cover the associated 'safety' issues, whilst improving traffic flow.

Not sure what that would cost but in theory it sounds like a good idea, not like they really need both tracks as it isn't a main method of transport...maybe there are a few lunatics people that use it as transport but in the main it really is just a tourist attraction / something to do so halving the number of trips should be fine.

Not sure what that would cost but in theory it sounds like a good idea, not like they really need both tracks as it isn't a main method of transport...maybe there are a few lunatics people that use it as transport but in the main it really is just a tourist attraction / something to do so halving the number of trips should be fine.

I'm sure they'd do that when they redo the prom.... <_< IMO there is little chance of either of those things happening in the next 5yrs. We haven't got enough roundabouts yet.

As another Douglas ratepayer, I am also appaulled that such an amount is wasted on this folly.

Even if they did manage to sell them off, you can be sure your rates bill wont be going down!!

Personally I have said for years that the roadway should be made into a dual carraigeway (not necessarily there entire length), just like Blackpool and a single tram line laid on the walkway with passing places. There you have it - a tourist attraction for the one or two who make it here and the roadway then clear for all the busy traffic (wherever they find to go??).

Dig up the tracks and lay a single track good idea. However lay that track on the seaward side of the prom off the main road. Safer, less congestion (and adds the possibility of herring bone parking on both sides of the prom) and more convenient.

Oh and transfer the darn things to central government as this is no more an amenity to the Douglas rate payer as the London eye. Oh and while we are at it scrap all local authorities transferring all responsibilities to a central office, and make Legco fully elected by the public.

Archived