Honda Rift

TomTucker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly off course.

British Sub Aqua Club reported at it's Diving Officers Conference that it was a good year for diving fatalities only 12 died which is below the average of 17 in the British Isles,

Is this carnage too? Mr Keyboarder and others

Totally off course and I do not know why I rise to the bait, but if you are comparing total sub aqua deaths in the UK in a year you should be comparing it to the total number of fatalities in the UK in a year due to Motorcycling

Alternatively compare it to the number of sub aqua deaths in the IoM in a two week period in June, or alternatively over a two week sub aqua festival elsewhere.

I have my view on consequences of the TT, which I have stated before, but when doing comparisons lets compare like with like. It is not rocket science to understand that if X million people are doing any activity every day of a year there is a fair chance that fatalities etc are likey to be higher than for an event lasting two weeks with only a small number of participants.

I suppose it's natural to compare sports of a similar nature, but ski enthiusiasts and horse riders don't go off with the thought in their head that they may be killed or seriously injured. Racing motorcyclists are fully aware of the dangers and consequences. That is the difference, and is probably why people can not come to terms with why people still want to participate. Just because you don't understand is not good enough grounds to suggest that something should be banned over another form of dangerous activity.

It is not fair to condemn motorcycle racing and ignore the dangers of other 'socially acceptable' sports.

Anyway, this is off topic really. I'm sure it will raise it's head again mid May.

Name me one rider who goes off with the thought in his head that he may be killed or injured.?........Let me tell you.....none

Name me one rider who goes off with the thought in his head that he may be killed or injured.?........Let me tell you.....none

I am sure that is the case. In any sport or activity if you ever want to be any good you always have to believe you will be the winner. You have to be of the mind set you are as good or better than the rest and that the once who experience problems do not have your level of ability or skill. That is the mindset of any succesful sportsman as soon as you start thinking what if you are finished. A golfer always believes the put will drop, a rugby or football player never thinks he will get hurt in the tackle etc

However having said the above it then makes it difficult to hard to argue that "they know and accept the risks". I believe they do but only to the extent that they apply to others because as once you start to think along similar lines you are finished at the top.

I suppose it's natural to compare sports of a similar nature, but ski enthiusiasts and horse riders don't go off with the thought in their head that they may be killed or seriously injured. Racing motorcyclists are fully aware of the dangers and consequences. That is the difference, and is probably why people can not come to terms with why people still want to participate. Just because you don't understand is not good enough grounds to suggest that something should be banned over another form of dangerous activity.

It is not fair to condemn motorcycle racing and ignore the dangers of other 'socially acceptable' sports.

Anyway, this is off topic really. I'm sure it will raise it's head again mid May.

Perhaps you should ask a few of them, it's difficult to ignore the risks if you have friends who have been involved in accidents or have inevitably tumbled off yourself. Of course you have to put that at the back of your mind when the flag drops and it is quite easy to do so, but watch any rider on the start line at any race and you become aware of the mixed emotions going through their head.

Adrenaline takes over and you becoe more focused when underway but the fear of failure is what keeps you from doing something crazy!

I say again, every rider knows and accepts the risks!

Sorry McMannin you are exactly wrong.

I would guess that you have never raced at the TT or MGP, or you would'nt come out with a statement like

"Name me one rider who goes off with the thought in his head that he may be killed or injured.?........Let me tell you.....none"

Every rider who races at the TT has been racing for a considerable period of time, and is in the top 50% of road racers worldwide. This is a requirement to race on the TT circuit. You can't decide you want to do it the week before and turn up like george formby did.

If you road race long enough, your risk of injury increases. (simply due to the time spent doing it). Most riders who qualify for the TT will have recieved an injury from racing before they compete, and everyone is acutely aware of the danger the circuit presents.

What I am trying to say is that it is virtually impossible to arrive at the TT without having first hand experiance of a serious accident of fatality due to road-racing. That being the case, I can personally assure you that EVERY rider on the start line sets of down Bray Hill knowing that an error on his part, mechanical failure, or plain bad luck could have serious consequences. This is what keeps them alive.

It is the individuals choice to take up the challange, why can't people just accept that.

And what has this got to do with Honda day being scrapped ?.

Sorry McMannin you are exactly wrong.

I would guess that you have never raced at the TT or MGP, or you would'nt come out with a statement like

"Name me one rider who goes off with the thought in his head that he may be killed or injured.?........Let me tell you.....none"

Every rider who races at the TT has been racing for a considerable period of time, and is in the top 50% of road racers worldwide. This is a requirement to race on the TT circuit. You can't decide you want to do it the week before and turn up like george formby did.

If you road race long enough, your risk of injury increases. (simply due to the time spent doing it). Most riders who qualify for the TT will have recieved an injury from racing before they compete, and everyone is acutely aware of the danger the circuit presents.

What I am trying to say is that it is virtually impossible to arrive at the TT without having first hand experiance of a serious accident of fatality due to road-racing. That being the case, I can personally assure you that EVERY rider on the start line sets of down Bray Hill knowing that an error on his part, mechanical failure, or plain bad luck could have serious consequences. This is what keeps them alive.

It is the individuals choice to take up the challange, why can't people just accept that.

And what has this got to do with Honda day being scrapped ?.

My experience comes from having both TT and Mgp riders garaging with me for a number of years.Also other riders either stay or garage at one of my brothers.The ignorant or people who dont follow the racing often ask ....ooh its so dangerous....but the stock reply is that they dont think of that....It would be like travelling by plane and thinking your going to crash

I have had a TT rider stay here who won the Mgp newcomers and has competed in three TT's who has never had a serious crash,only crash he has ever had was a highside at a national road race in Ireland that he walked away from.He must have rode nearly fifty laps of the course without incident.

Nobody in any sport thinks they are going to hurt, same as normal drivers don't think they'll ever maim anyone or injure themselves, but people do need to be aware of the risks and the fact is racing a motorcycle at 180mph is x10 as dangerous as riding a horse or skiing, fall of a horse and providing you wear the correct protective gear you'll probably get away with a few bruises (unless the horse kicks...), losing balance and falling off while skiing you'll probably keep rolling to a stop, again with either a few bruises or a few broken bones...

However coming off a motorcycle at 180mph while riding on the TT course you're faced with all sorts of obstacles, stone walls, trees and fences etc, your rate of survival is significantly lower compared to the other sports, the riders do know this when they sign up, probably because the course is harsh the rider skill is tested to the max, thats why its a unique race.

My experience comes from having both TT and Mgp riders garaging with me for a number of years.Also other riders either stay or garage at one of my brothers.The ignorant or people who dont follow the racing often ask ....ooh its so dangerous....but the stock reply is that they dont think of that....It would be like travelling by plane and thinking your going to crash

I have had a TT rider stay here who won the Mgp newcomers and has competed in three TT's who has never had a serious crash,only crash he has ever had was a highside at a national road race in Ireland that he walked away from.He must have rode nearly fifty laps of the course without incident.

There is probably a certain amount of bravado in what your friend says. He can not have raced in Ireland and not be aware of the dangers of road racing there, which are greater than at the TT in my opinion. The Irish racing community do emphasise the dangers. In fact riders are always briefed at the TT and MGP on the dangers of the circuit prior to being allowed to compete. Because he has never broken a bone may make him blase to the danger but he will definately be aware.

Many if not most riders compete in the TT and MGP without ever coming to grief, and that goes right across the experience range.

I don't know how people know what other people are thinking. Are they psychic?

I used to have a TT press pass and I'd often take photos of riders in the paddock preparing for the race and also as they approached the start line. Some seemed totally relaxed and were chatting with their family and team, other were withdrawn and seemed to want to be alone with their thoughts. What those thoughts were I couldn't say, but they sometimes looked very edgy and nervous.

Nobody in any sport thinks they are going to hurt,

Again, how do you know?

There's been two occasions when I was climbing where I though I could end up dead if things didn't work.

Honda have announced that their official HM Plant team will compete at this years Northwest 200 with John McGuiness and Steve Brogan as riders

Archived