[BBC News] Vandals strike at shopping centre

Newsbot

Oh it could be those pesky FSFO people again couldnt it? or maybe it was a failed AlQaeda attack? Quick everyone run and hide - there are dangerous criminals at large and we must protect ourselves from them....no? oh.....I dont want to hear about the 2 drunk men falling into the window by mistake and running away scared of getting sent to the 'big house' for a little drunken tom foolery. I do not see why police time should be wasted on such trivial matters as this, if someone broke one of our windows I would tend towards thinking that it was an accident and replace the glass, why cost the tax payers money by calling the police? This is quite bad actually when I think about it, Tower House is a business, it pays 0% tax (save a £250 fee or what so it is) so Tower House is using a service to which it contributes relativley nothing, nice. Oh could someone please explain to me why businesses are privvy to the benefits of a goverment to which they contribute nothing?

Oh could someone please explain to me why businesses are privvy to the benefits of a goverment to which they contribute nothing?

Apart from employing people, acting as unpaid tax collectors re NHI/ITIP, acting as unpaid tax collectors for VAT?

Perhaps all businesses should close down, then we could all be happy with no economy and feck all to do?

Apart from employing people, acting as unpaid tax collectors re NHI/ITIP, acting as unpaid tax collectors for VAT?

Unpaid tax collectors and VAT - no VAT on rent, Tower House is more of a rental business, hardly the largest personnel payroll on the Island. I wouldnt like to see businesses close down OG I work for one, I do think there should be a bit of a rethink on tax on rentals.

Are you sure about that?

Fairly, I've never seen VAT on a rent invoice and when I enquired about it I was told commercial rent was not vatable, so assume it to be correct. It is the choice of the landlord see here.

We own property that we rent out to another company and we also rent property off another company. These are old properties and there's no VAT on the rent as the landlord had chosen not to charge VAT.

My understanding (which may be wrong) from our accountants is that we could elect to charge VAT on the rents, or if we had claimed VAT back on the building or for repairs to the building then we would have to charge VAT. Our main retail property was built just as they introduced VAT on new building works (about 20 years ago) and we reclaimed that VAT back. I assume that if we ever rented that out we would have to charge VAT.

I assumed that would also be the case for Tower House, but perhaps my understanding is incorrect?

BTW, the article isn't clear on who called the police, the landlord or the tenant.

Not really sure about this, but I think if a business is in the business of renting property (like a developer) then they can VAT register to claim VAT back on certain expenditure. If you then lease form them you can claim the VAT back on rent. I think it all boils down to whether at the top of the food chain the property is a capital or revenue item.

If a business occupies a property to carry on its own business, that is a capital transaction, but if you are in the business of being a landlord then the costs associated with the property are revenue costs because the direct result of the expenditure is revenue (i.e. rents, the property being your stock in trade).

It is starting to get a bit hazy now, but being somewhere where there are no capital taxes we tend to forget that there is a difference between capital appreciation and expenditure, and revenue income and costs.

But to hell with that, why should any business have to put up with someone putting a window in?

It is the word 'targeted' that makes this such a spurious article. As yet, there are no witnesses; no one can even say whether the damage was deliberate or accidental. How, then, can they possibly say that it was 'targeted'? Lousy reporting yet again.

It doesn't say what caused the breakage either i.e. a brick? "Unpredictable glass failure can be a concern for those responsible and involved with risk, health and safety and property management. Toughened glass has been known to spontaneously break, shattering for no apparent reason." clicky

Archived