Cunard Stamps Issued Today

Albert Tatlock

I work for Cunard :o ah the old ones are best :lol:

All i can think of was the article i read years ago that reckoned Sam Cunard got the idea for the transatlantic venture after watching the IOMSPC running back and forth. It was stated that he even copied the colours of the IOMSPC, who objected causing him to add the horizontal stripe.

How true? im unsure.

It is this scraping the barrel for a new theme for an issue which has brought the philatelic trade into quite some disrepute over the past few years. Quite how Vanuatu, say, could get Mickey Mouse as a theme for their stamps, for example, only shows that stamps are produced solely with a view to the philatelic trade. This means that there are thousands of 'unique' stamps out there which has knocked the bottom out of true philately. IOM stamps celebrating IOM themes are the honest issues, the rest are purely issues for issues sake.

It is this scraping the barrel for a new theme for an issue which has brought the philatelic trade into quite some disrepute over the past few years. Quite how Vanuatu, say, could get Mickey Mouse as a theme for their stamps, for example, only shows that stamps are produced solely with a view to the philatelic trade. This means that there are thousands of 'unique' stamps out there which has knocked the bottom out of true philately. IOM stamps celebrating IOM themes are the honest issues, the rest are purely issues for issues sake.

Totally agree Gladys.

Did I hear correctly on MR news this morning of yet another stamp issue connected with the RAF's presence on the island back in the war years?

I'm not saying that I disagree with that, but I do wonder if the overall cost of production is fully recouped by the Manx PO.

Archived