[BBC News] New prison not ready for inmates

Newsbot

Are the cells single occupancy?

For that money in the UK you'd expect a similar prison to take take at least twice as many inmates as that. In same sex prisons you could buy 'accommodation' for nearly 5 times that number of prisioners.

I would love to see an elemental analysis of the construction costs of the Jurby prison.

£41.7M for 138 cells. I make that about £300,000 per cell. Amazing.

I'm almost tempted to type Dandara but I won't.

They could probably give 80 of them £300,000 each to leave the island for good

They'd be trampled in the rush......

I wonder how much it costs to house these berks compared to the amount that gets spent on say healthy school dinners, or food/heating subsidies for old folk...

I suspect I'd rather not know the truth.

OR

A pathetic Carers Allowance - £48.65 a week providing care is given for AT LEAST 35 hours a week.

An hourly wage/pittance/ of £1.39 an hour.

Which saves the Manx Government god knows how many thousands a week.

Great planning at the new Prison, was said on MR this morning that Juveniles will be housed with adults at the new prison.

Is this a cost cutting measure by the DTI Apprentice drug takers.

on a serious note should Juveniles be house with the adults at the new prison ? .

I thought that part of the reason for the new place was to provide appropriate facilities for juveniles as well as adults?

MR have asked for listeners to Phone in to the Mandate program with any views they may have on this issue.

I would have hoped that if required, appropriate provision for juveniles would have been part of the original plan. Bit too late to think about it now isn't it?

Archived