[BBC News] Sailings a success, company says

Newsbot

Not wanting to drag out yet another Steam Racket thread, but is this just pure bullshit, or not?

At present, if you wish to travel by boat to England on a Saturday morning you do not have any options. It’s Birkenhead or nothing.

So is Mr Woodward continuing the long-standing tradition of feeding the public utter rubbish?

Thats what he gets paid for.

Birkenhead is a resounding success for everybody, it seems, and presumably that includes those people who want to go north of Heysham at the weekends.

Presumably the freight operators also love the loss of the Heysham trips - not to mention those Saturday nights when she has a night off, so the Sunday papers have to come by plane (ask your newsagent what he thinks about that and you'll get an earfull!)

We still don't know what will happen when/if the wind blows (as it is prone to) at the end of February/beginning of March, when Ben goes in for her paint job, and the seacat is all we have.

This will either be another resounding success, or.........

Which department of the Steam Racket do you work for?

Perhaps you think this witty and incisive, but clearly you didn't follow the petition thread.

Some of us want a rational and constructive debate about the Steam Packet's role and service, rather than the foaming-mouth foot-stamping that seems so prevalent. I recognise the Steam Packet and the Linkspan Agreement are not perfect, but also maintain they are not as horrendus as everyone pretends they are.

If you bothered to read my original post you would see that nowhere do I mention the rights or wrongs of the Liverpool versus Birkenhead situation or the user agreement. What I question is the apparent lies being put out by this company that the Merseyside route on a Saturday is a rousing success when they have stopped the Heysham route.

Bit like Flybe or Euromanx switching all their Saturday morning flights to Manchester, then saying “look at the massive increase in our passenger numbers to Manchester on a Saturday”

Your arrogance in saying that “some of us want a rational and constructive debate” is a joke coming from you! You are obviously incapable of seeing this rubbish from Mr Woodward for what it is.

[

Some of us want a rational and constructive debate about the Steam Packet's role and service, rather than the foaming-mouth foot-stamping that seems so prevalent. I recognise the Steam Packet and the Linkspan Agreement are not perfect, but also maintain they are not as horrendus as everyone pretends they are.

Why would people pretend the SP is so horrendous? What is to be gained by that?

Adverse comments on the service provided by the company are driven by people's experiences and expectations.

I appreciate you can't please everyone all the time but you must accept that the phenomenal support for the petition indicates a huge level of dissatisfaction.

People have every right to complain about the service provided (or not provided) and the company does itself no favours by trying to hoodwink them with for example this sort of spin about passenger numbers to Birkenhead.

From Woodwards blog on 7th January - "We may not always get it right, but we are determined to listen and learn when we get it wrong."

Let's hope so - little evidence thus far

[

Why would people pretend the SP is so horrendous? What is to be gained by that?

Adverse comments on the service provided by the company are driven by people's experiences and expectations.

I appreciate you can't please everyone all the time but you must accept that the phenomenal support for the petition indicates a huge level of dissatisfaction.

People have every right to complain about the service provided (or not provided) and the company does itself no favours by trying to hoodwink them with for example this sort of spin about passenger numbers to Birkenhead.

From Woodwards blog on 7th January - "We may not always get it right, but we are determined to listen and learn when we get it wrong."

Let's hope so - little evidence thus far

I said 'pretend' because a) most of the problems (certainly the biggest ones) were shot down repeatedly by several people in the petition thread and b) although I fully accept that people have a right to complain about the service provided by the Steam Packet, but much of it is done without proper appreciation of the circumstances and/or unrealistic expectations.

Whilst it is uncontestable that the petition suggests a huge level of dissatisfaction, this does not mean that it is reasonable, considered criticism.

Examples:

"I am a student at University in England and not having a boat to Liverpool makes getting to and from the Island a nightmare as places like Birkenhead do not have as many main public transport connections" - Steam Packet provides free coach connections to and from Birkenhead

"high prices. timetable changes. unreliable boats. rude staff. now cut backs in sailings because up to now we have put up with all the other failings. provides a lifeline to the Uk and Ireland. What a joke!!!!!" -Prices are comparable with other island ferry operators, reliability has improved with Ben-only service, Liverpool and Ireland routes do not constitute part of the 'lifeline'

"Overall standard of serivce is shocking, as are the prices, not just of fares but also of food. Terminals at Liverpool and Heysham are depressingly bad. Sea travel should be as cheap and welcoming as possible to stop people from flying." - Prices are comparable with other island ferry operators, food is always expensive when travelling (at airports etc), terminal improvements at Liverpool are intended but there have been difficulties (or so someone posted), terminal at Heysham is undergoing improvements, people rarely fly for the price or service

"I always use the day trip service at this time of year, flying isn't an option as it costs twice as much. Very unfair to be treated like this, we already pay too much for being stuck on an Island." - Day trip passengers represent only 2% of winter passengers, price thing again

"Why not do promotional offers on Day/Shopping trips to Liverpool. The Steam Packet is showing a tremendous lack of initiative! If its not profitable, make it profitable!! (e.g. Easyjet)" - Again, not enough people actually use winter day trips, bizarre comparison with easyJet

"Disgraceful service. After cancellations and delays (the engines failed...... again) service cuts prices too high,Its obvious what the Steam Racket thinks about Customer Service" - Cancellations and delays with service this winter seem to have been the result of either weather or traffic in the Mersey, neither of which the SP can control, prices again

"its a lot betta" - um...?

"In addition to the subject of this petition, I most strongly protest at the 'fleecing' of particularly motorcyclists who have no choice but to use Steam Packets boats to get to the TT and the MGP" - It is hardly unreasonable for the Packet to charge higher prices during its peak season. If prices are unreasonable then the OFT has the power to take action.

"Govt don't care as it keeps the money on the island. If they stand up to the steam packet they will lose face due to the user agreement. bring on some competition !!!!" - As if losing face in front of the business community by going back on binding contract wouldn't be that bad. There is nothing stopping another company constructing its own linkspan. If they wanted to a run a passenger-only service then there would be no obstacles to them doing so.

Whilst it is uncontestable that the petition suggests a huge level of dissatisfaction, this does not mean that it is reasonable, considered criticism.

Examples:

"disgaraceful" - So is your spelling

"its a lot betta" - um...?

So a minor spelling mistake or slip on the keyboard invalidates any criticism and makes it unreasonable and unconsidered?

For example:-

"I fully accept that people have a right to complain about the service provided by the Steam Packet, but much of it is down without proper appreciation of the circumstances and/or unrealistic expectations"

There's none so blind as he who will not see.

I would genuinely be surprised if triskelion did not have some sort of employment-related interest in defending the Steam Packet

Just like I asked him earlier in this thread.

All he can do is pick at people spelling etc.

What a poor pathetic individual.

See what? Okay, the spelling mistake jibe was unnecessary, but it hardly defeats my point. Almost all the people that signed that petition, and certainly many on this forum, seem to think the Steam Packet is a shambles, and yet no one can bring forth sufficient evidence to support that. Instead I am subjected to baseless attacks on my integrity; accusing me of bring the CEO of the SP or a member of staff, because we know morale is really high in the latter...

Skig, if you had followed the debate for more than this page (for example, in the petition thread), you will find that I have done much, much more than made snide remarks about someone's spelling (which, I admit, was quite pathetic). I have literally spent hours researching passenger figures, news stories, the history of the Steam Packet, comparing fares with similar operators, trawling through select committee minutes and a lot more in an attempt to play an informed, constructive role in the debate.

See what? Okay, the spelling mistake jibe was unnecessary, but it hardly defeats my point. Almost all the people that signed that petition, and certainly many on this forum, seem to think the Steam Packet is a shambles, and yet no one can bring forth sufficient evidence to support that. Instead I am subjected to baseless attacks on my integrity; accusing me of bring the CEO of the SP or a member of staff, because we know morale is really high in the latter...

Skig, if you had followed the debate for more than this page (for example, in the petition thread), you will find that I have done much, much more than made snide remarks about someone's spelling (which, I admit, was quite pathetic). I have literally spent hours researching passenger figures, news stories, the history of the Steam Packet, comparing fares with similar operators, trawling through select committee minutes and a lot more in an attempt to play an informed, constructive role in the debate.

It appears to be a waste of time talking to you. This thread is nothing to do with the user agreement petition or anything linked to it. It is a response to the quite blatant misleading statement put out by the company about the passenger figures for weekend sailings to the UK.

As for me not following the debate, you really are a tosser. You only joined the forum two months ago. I’ve been following and posting for over 3 years!

As has been said earlier “There’s none as blind……………….”

It appears to be a waste of time talking to you. This thread is nothing to do with the user agreement petition or anything linked to it. It is a response to the quite blatant misleading statement put out by the company about the passenger figures for weekend sailings to the UK.

As for me not following the debate, you really are a tosser. You only joined the forum two months ago. I’ve been following and posting for over 3 years!

As has been said earlier “There’s none as blind……………….”

Company releases statement saying passenger numbers though Liverpool are up and reliability on the route is 100%. Its true. Yes, the Steam Packet is really pure evil.

The Petition was nothing to do with the user agreement either, and the thread ranged quite broadly in what was discussed. So, despite having been for much longer than me, you still haven't grasped how to read the first post of a thread, or understand any of those which followed it. Well done.

VikingRaider: Actually, it was because I had a different viewpoint to much of what had been posted, and people insisted I back up what I said. And I enjoyed doing it.

Archived