[BBC News] Kershaw jailed for order breach

Newsbot

I hope he gets the counselling and support he needs.

Him and all the other ones who have problems including alcohol. Or we could throw them in jail because there's no help for them anywhere else.

It used to be the case that they were slung up Ballamona, which often had a less than ideal effect on them.

It does seem to a a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Three months inside is more than you see some recreational drug users get. More than you see handed out to drunk drivers. Surely he needs professional help, not banging up. There seems to be a different agenda going on here and its not obvious to people on the outside.

It does seem to a a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Three months inside is more than you see some recreational drug users get. More than you see handed out to drunk drivers. Surely he needs professional help, not banging up. There seems to be a different agenda going on here and its not obvious to people on the outside.

Well I'd hope it would be more than recreational drug use would get you, this is a man who's disobeyed a restraining order (which should be enough warning in itself) several times and who's caused much distress to someone and a lot of earache for their neighbours. What's the 'different agenda'? How many bloody chances should he get

Well I'd hope it would be more than recreational drug use would get you, this is a man who's disobeyed a restraining order (which should be enough warning in itself) several times and who's caused much distress to someone and a lot of earache for their neighbours. What's the 'different agenda'? How many bloody chances should he get

I doubt being banged up will change any of that IMHO.

3 months will be 6 weeks won't it, minus any days he spent locked up when first arrested?

I think this will do the guy some good, as I'm sure a bare cell, plenty of time to reflect and no access to booze would soon start to focus the mind. Like I've said in several posts previously, he should have left the island for a bit, focussed on his career and worked his way through this - it's the only way to come to terms and get through crap like this IMO.

Lets' just hope his bosses give him a break over these relationship issues - cos quite a few people go tilt over such things at some stage in their lives.

I doubt he will get the support he needs in prison - do they even have a full-time psychologist?

I too doubt it. It's a bleak unhelpful place, going by the last inspection report, not providing a satisfactory service to tax payers IMO because of its obvious 'revolving door' and 'couldn't give a sh1t' approach:

• HP45 A bullying analysis should be undertaken and the results used to develop a bullying strategy. All staff should be trained in how to deal with incidents.
  • HP46 The safer custody committee should develop and oversee a strategy to help reduce the risk of self-harm and to provide the necessary support and services to those prisoners who threaten or attempt to self-harm.
  • HP47 The arrangements for the delivery of healthcare to become the responsibility of the Isle of Man Health Service should be expedited.
  • HP48 A health needs assessment of prisoners should be carried out and a health delivery plan devised to ensure that the correct services, including out-of-hours cover, are in place to meet the needs of the population.
  • HP49 There should be sufficient purposeful activity for all prisoners, with the opportunity to gain educational and skills qualifications.
  • HP50 Juveniles under 18 should not be held in the Isle of Man prison.
  • HP51 Women should be held in separately-managed accommodation, with facilities and procedures that are specific to their needs.
  • HP52 The Department of Home Affairs, with other relevant bodies, should consider developing a comprehensive multi-agency strategy for reducing reoffending and providing end-to-end management of offenders during and after imprisonment.
  • HP53 The prison should develop and implement a resettlement strategy, based upon the assessed needs of its different populations.

In short, it seems that prisoners on the island in 2006: could get bullied more often than most; had a higher than necessary risk of self harm; had healthcare services not being professionally delivered which posed serious risks to prisoner safety and staff - with no out of hours service; nothing to do and all day to do it, with few educational or skill opportunties; a poor chance of being rehabilitated; and a high chance of being dumped on the street after serving their sentence and not being resettled.

Archived