[BBC News] Kershaw jailed for order breach

Newsbot

Boot the dead egg of the Island

What an obvious and well thought out reply, I don't think. Let's torture him before we throw him off too, we might get him to confess to Shergar and Bambi's mum too.

You seem to forget his children are here, and that family situations like this can eventually sort themselves out over time. Green eyed monsters, other relationship issues and alcohol can affect any one of us - perhaps even you maybe one day.

What an obvious and well thought out reply, I don't think. You seem to forget his children are here, and that family situations like this can eventually sort themselves out over time. Green eyed monsters, other relationship issues and alcohol can affect any one of us - perhaps even you maybe one day.

Yes,im not that articulate and i apologise.My thoughts are that people who move here,and in his case does he even do any work here or just reap tax benefits,then go on a mad one,why should he be made welcome here?What is he contributing to the island?What is the difference in pensioners who didnt pay into the pot trying to claim the manx supplement and a furrener causing havoc over here and then we have to sort him out?I say fuck him,boot him off,if he wants to see his kids maybe a break from his ex and missing the kids might wise him up.If he wants to live here play by the rules....

What an obvious and well thought out reply, I don't think. You seem to forget his children are here, and that family situations like this can eventually sort themselves out over time. Green eyed monsters, other relationship issues and alcohol can affect any one of us - perhaps even you maybe one day.

Yes,im not that articulate and i apologise.My thoughts are that people who move here,and in his case does he even do any work here or just reap tax benefits,then go on a mad one,why should he be made welcome here?What is he contributing to the island?What is the difference in pensioners who didnt pay into the pot trying to claim the manx supplement and a furrener causing havoc over here and then we have to sort him out?I say fuck him,boot him off,if he wants to see his kids maybe a break from his ex and missing the kids might wise him up.If he wants to live here play by the rules....

He's actually quite a good advocate of the Island and has done nobody any harm but himself. The 'rules' are the same everywhere in any case.

I can think of far more worthy candidates for booting off the Island.

I doubt he will get the support he needs in prison - do they even have a full-time psychologist?

I too doubt it. It's a bleak unhelpful place, going by the last inspection report, not providing a satisfactory service to tax payers IMO because of its obvious 'revolving door' and 'couldn't give a sh1t' approach:

• HP45 A bullying analysis should be undertaken and the results used to develop a bullying strategy. All staff should be trained in how to deal with incidents.
  • HP46 The safer custody committee should develop and oversee a strategy to help reduce the risk of self-harm and to provide the necessary support and services to those prisoners who threaten or attempt to self-harm.
  • HP47 The arrangements for the delivery of healthcare to become the responsibility of the Isle of Man Health Service should be expedited.
  • HP48 A health needs assessment of prisoners should be carried out and a health delivery plan devised to ensure that the correct services, including out-of-hours cover, are in place to meet the needs of the population.
  • HP49 There should be sufficient purposeful activity for all prisoners, with the opportunity to gain educational and skills qualifications.
  • HP50 Juveniles under 18 should not be held in the Isle of Man prison.
  • HP51 Women should be held in separately-managed accommodation, with facilities and procedures that are specific to their needs.
  • HP52 The Department of Home Affairs, with other relevant bodies, should consider developing a comprehensive multi-agency strategy for reducing reoffending and providing end-to-end management of offenders during and after imprisonment.
  • HP53 The prison should develop and implement a resettlement strategy, based upon the assessed needs of its different populations.

In short, it seems that prisoners on the island in 2006: could get bullied more often than most; had a higher than necessary risk of self harm; had healthcare services not being professionally delivered which posed serious risks to prisoner safety and staff - with no out of hours service; nothing to do and all day to do it, with few educational or skill opportunties; a poor chance of being rehabilitated; and a high chance of being dumped on the street after serving their sentence and not being resettled.

A shocking indictment. But they will tell you it will all be wonderful when the new prison opens at Jurby.

Just as it will all be wonderful when the drugs and alcohol unit opens at Ballamona.

Meanwhile people suffer.

In short, it seems that prisoners on the island in 2006: could get bullied more often than most; had a higher than necessary risk of self harm; had healthcare services not being professionally delivered which posed serious risks to prisoner safety and staff - with no out of hours service; nothing to do and all day to do it, with few educational or skill opportunties; a poor chance of being rehabilitated; and a high chance of being dumped on the street after serving their sentence and not being resettled.

A shocking indictment. But they will tell you it will all be wonderful when the new prison opens at Jurby.

The building's being changed, unfortunately those running the system aren't.

I feel sorry for Andy Kershaw and his family (and his estranged wife's boyfriend). It seems that when he drinks he steps out of line. I hope that he can straighten himself out in the next few weeks in prison and maintain some sort of relationship with his kids, if not his estranged wife. All very sad.

My daughter and I suffered very similar problems for over 7 years with my ex owing to alcohol and drug abuse and it was a nightmare.

HI,

AS A WOMAN WHO HAS SUFFERED A SIMILAR SITUATION, AND I STILL DO 8 YEARS ON, I AM SO PLEASED THIS IS NOT JUST LABELLED A DOMESTIC AND IGNORED.

i HOPE THERE IS A SMALL CHANCE i MAY HAVE SOME PEACE.

i ALSO HOPE aNDY TAKES THIS TIME TO DRY OUT AND TO THINK AND PLAN ABOUT HOW HE CAN BE AGOOD DADDY.

Archived