Isle Of Man Tt - Clerk Of The Course ?

nipper

"Hanson out as Clerk of the Course"

I was rather shocked to hear this news item.

I have worked for the TT and Manx Grand Prix over the past 10 years or so which includes the time of Neil Hanson as Clerk of the Course. He has gained much respect over the years in an extremely difficult and often thankless job.

There is surely more to all this but I hope the ACU and the folk from "New" TT know exactly what they are doing here.

edited to add:

I am just listening to an interview on Manx Radio with the Chief Executive of the Department of Tourism and Leisure.

I feel rather sick.

A.C.U. General Secretary Gary Thompson has told Manx Radio negotiations are taking place to offer Neil Hanson a consultancy role at T.T. 2008.

Earlier, it was revealed Neil Hanson will no longer be Clerk of the Course. He has also resigned from the same position at the Manx Grand Prix, and ended a 40 year involvement as a committee member of the Manx Motor Cycle Club.

The Chief Technical Officer for the T.T. Jeff Kirby has also resigned in a dispute with A.C.U. Events Limited over the number of machines to be scrutineered before each race or practice session. Mr Kirby has declined to comment any further.

Meanwhile, the delayed regulations for the T.T., which includes details of all officials for the 2008 meeting, are with the Department of Tourism for final approval.

This is part of the interview from this morning explaining why Neil Hanson and indeed the Manx MotorCycle Club (MMCC) were dropped.

20080117_Carol_Glover_Interview_part_only.mp3

Well I think it explains it although I don't think the interviewer Tim Glover is too sure either (Tim Glover is no relation to the Department of Tourism Chief Exec. Carol Glover)

That interview was the most pathetic attempt at covering up the misguided intentions of the DTL in this matter. They have behaved deplorably and treated the MMCC in the most shoddy fashion imaginable.

I think they believe that they are riding the crest of a wave of success after TT 2007 and seem to hold the MMCC responsible for some of their own bungling in the original contract.

The TT has been entrusted to this group of people and I think they are playing with it to their own ends, building a series of little empires for each other. I only hope that they realise that they are playing with our heritage.

huge blow, like him or loathe him he was solid member of the team.

mr blackburn i am not so sure about.

Posted on another forum.

Martin was one of three that turned the job of Clerk of the coarse down. Also said was that in future bikes will only be checked over once during practice and then again on race day, this is the possible reason for the Chief Technical officer packing his job in. If this being a fact then the safety of all competitors is at risk.

"Hanson out as Clerk of the Course"

I was rather shocked to hear this news item.

I have worked for the TT and Manx Grand Prix over the past 10 years or so which includes the time of Neil Hanson as Clerk of the Course. He has gained much respect over the years in an extremely difficult and often thankless job.

There is surely more to all this but I hope the ACU and the folk from "New" TT know exactly what they are doing here.

edited to add:

I am just listening to an interview on Manx Radio with the Chief Executive of the Department of Tourism and Leisure.

I feel rather sick.

Do not be surprised. The ACU tries something new every year, always with the potential (or aim?) to kill off the TT.

I would like to add a few words of support for Neil Hanson..

First of all, I am not a TT buff or a Motorcycle enthusiast but I have had some behind the scenes insight into the running of the TT, as an outsider.

For many years, I worked for the GPO, now MT and part of my duties entailed wiring the phone system at the Grandstand. Another duty was to man the switchboard, both during the races and the practices.

The switchboard operator was one of the first people to arrive for the early morning practices, taking messages for the control room, for them to deal with when they arrived.

On the mornings when Neil was on duty, he was always there before me, quietly preparing for the morning sessions.

When the races were run by the ACU Neil was also at hand, as deputy Clerk of Course, to lend some help and advice, when needed. I wouldn't be surprised if his advice was much sought after and respected.

There are lots of people who would like to be 'in charge'. But with that position, comes a lot, I mean a lot, of responsibility and pressure. I don't think it is understating the facts to say that peoples lives depend on your decisions.

Do we postpone, cancel or run the races? Whatever is decided there will be those who challenge you - I wouldn't be in his shoes, for all the tea in China.

Neil Hanson was an asset to the TT and it is shameful that he has been treated in this way. I can only imagine how he must be feeling now, after 40 years of service.

My two pence worth.

my current thinking on the issue is that after last years last day fatalities and the ensueing witch hunt for people that weren't even there, a few folks have decided that not taking part and risking prosecution is the safest option, Mr Hurst? as my understanding of 'consultants' goes, if they cock up thay are not or less liable? so i feel the ACU are looking for the advice and expertise ( because they need it ) and are offering a blameless position to try and get the help. possibly when the financial package has been sufficiently packed, he will be offering advice as a consultant?

All this bullshit about Hanson being great blah blah blah....He was getting paid very well for what he was doing.I marshalled for both the tt and manx for fourteen years,being self employed for half that time I was paid fuck all but still did it.I seen a fair few fatalaties in my time,i would suggest my actions were of far greater consequence than his.After a fatality I appeared at the inquests as a witness with Mr Hanson,I wonder if he was doing that for nish?I doubt it.

Him and the like were sat in the grandstand under cover. I realise you need the people like that,the old boys network up there but to me they are ten a penny.The valued people ,usually the un paid volunteers are the marshalls,and travelling marshalls out on the course

All this bullshit about Hanson being great blah blah blah....He was getting paid very well for what he was doing.I marshalled for both the tt and manx for fourteen years,being self employed for half that time I was paid fuck all but still did it.I seen a fair few fatalaties in my time,i would suggest my actions were of far greater consequence than his.After a fatality I appeared at the inquests as a witness with Mr Hanson,I wonder if he was doing that for nish?I doubt it.

Him and the like were sat in the grandstand under cover. I realise you need the people like that,the old boys network up there but to me they are ten a penny.The valued people ,usually the un paid volunteers are the marshalls,and travelling marshalls out on the course

Might have expected a comment like that..

Well, having worked all my life in the boiler room - it doesn't matter how hard us stokers fuelled the boilers, without a good captain on the bridge, the good ship TT would certainly have hit the rocks..

'Abandon Ship' me hearties - save yourselves..

I think they believe that they are riding the crest of a wave of success after TT 2007 and seem to hold the MMCC responsible for some of their own bungling in the original contract.

TT 2007 couldn't have failed to draw the crowds - unfortunately the DTL seem to want to take the sole credit for what must be the only tourist success story since Millenium year.

I don't think anyone expects TT 2008 to be anything other than a total crock. Which is about usual for most other DTL events of the last 25 years.

Archived