North Quay Hotel

Sharp

Should be more fun getting to work in the morning.

And presumably more fun acquiring a parking space too for those that drive in.

Exactly what I thought what with already losing a lot of parking down the quay and Cambrian Place there's going to be a hell of a lot more cars looking for less and less places around town.

well there's always the bus!

Of course. Was just making an observation.

I shall be using the bus/bike to come into work quite a bit now anyway as the mrs is on 'baby holiday' so it's a bit of a waste of money driving in then paying £3.50 a day parking for one person. It's probably not actually economical to do it for two people really.

Exactly what I thought what with already losing a lot of parking down the quay and Cambrian Place there's going to be a hell of a lot more cars looking for less and less places around town.

No. Just a hell of a lot more cars paying to park in Shaws Brow rather than getting free parking for 90 mins or 2 hours on Quay and Cambrian Place.

No. Just a hell of a lot more cars paying to park in Shaws Brow rather than getting free parking for 90 mins or 2 hours on Quay and Cambrian Place.

Or probably more "disc-spinners" which is a particular hate of mine. Especially if I'm working in that area and I have to keep going back and forth to my van for various tools and equipment. It annoys me when I see office and shop workers nipping back to their cars to spin the disc as they furtively glance around.

Why cant you leave the car at the NSC and walk into work, A healthy start to the day :o

That's why there's nowhere to park when going to the NSC?

Yes. Some tight fisted people are doing it. Same with the Hospital carpark. Ever wondered why its always full? All real the tight arses drive into Nobles and then pay 80p to get the bus into Douglas. There is no end to the lengths people will go to out of meanness.

But whilst rip off parking fees apply in Douglas its always going to happen.

many UK towns actually encourage park & ride schemes for all day parking - allows the restricted amount of centre town parking to be priced to encourage shoppers and short stays. Hoever I thought the long stay parking at Nobles was exploded some time ago as an urban myth - I can't recall seeing many get off there around 5pm to 6pm which is when you would expect office workers to return to their cars.

Cheating on disk parking is easily handled by modern hand held numberplate scanners - these can record position + time and could have the side benefit of detecting unlicensed or uninsured vehicles

many UK towns actually encourage park & ride schemes for all day parking - allows the restricted amount of centre town parking to be priced to encourage shoppers and short stays. Hoever I thought the long stay parking at Nobles was exploded some time ago as an urban myth - I can't recall seeing many get off there around 5pm to 6pm which is when you would expect office workers to return to their cars.

Cheating on disk parking is easily handled by modern hand held numberplate scanners - these can record position + time and could have the side benefit of detecting unlicensed or uninsured vehicles

I'd argue that just making it cheaper to park would cure the problem without having to have scanners. £4.50 a day to park in Douglas is a total rip off.

As for an urban myth ... I still know people doing it. There may be less of them but they're still doing it. Skinflints.

Interesting that they seem to think now that a hotel is needed in that area, long after the decision that there were too many - how many have gone now that could/should have been thoroughly modernised rather than raised to the ground?

Peveril, Villiers, etc..

Whatever next? Someone might decide that we do actually need a bus station that people can wait for buses in, in comfort, with conveniences on site......

Whoever decided that the old one should be knocked down so that people could fester in the wind and wet should be shot.

I have a friend whose argument on car-park pricing runs as follows - could you find a place when you wanted it? - if No then the pricing is too cheap. There is some merit in this as like motorways their availability is always outstripped by demand.

Archived