Isn't It Nice When This Happens

staaue

Politicians controlled by officials - MHK

An MHK has voiced his concern that politicians are merely there to 'rubberstamp' what government officials want.

Rushen member Quintin Gill was speaking after Tynwald debated spending £1.25 million on road works at Governor's Bridge.

Mr Gill (pictured) believes the professionals are controlling politicians rather than the other way round.

He says politicians are elected to make decisions, but that becomes a problem when the political view differs from the professional one.

Well done Mr Gill. About time someone in your position spoke out loud to confirm what we all know. :D :D

Who are these 'professionals' - is it the same as the 'government officials'? If so, who are these government officials? Civil servants? When it is said 'what government officials want' - this would seem to suggest some kind of policy or agenda. If so, what might that be, who shapes it or how is it arrived at. It may be 'speaking out' but it's a bit vague to me - 'loud' perhaps, but not 'clear', and I think a little more needs to be said by Mr Gill.

I have to say that I have sometimes speculated as to the power of civil servants here in the Isle of Man. Moreover, I would like to know where they get their ideas from. It seems to me that a lot of the change in the Isle of Man seems to be be introduced via the civil service without the scrutiny of the MHK's. The most intruiging post of all is the Chief Secretary Mary Williams whose organisational tree shows her as pulling the strings of the Council of Ministers.

If anyone could explain exactly what her post is about I would be most interested.

The Mission Statement says

the Chief Secretary's Office shall

1. facilitate successful leadership by the Chief Minister, the Council of Ministers and the Lieutenant Governor

'facilitate successful leadership' sounds a bit like management consultant speak for 'point them in the direction they should be going and make sure they stick to it'. i.e. drive it through and have them rubber stamp it.

Anyone know who appoints CSO senior staff or who approves these appointments?

I think slinkydevil might have summed it up :D. but :o

An MHK has voiced his concern that politicians are merely there to 'rubberstamp' what government officials want.

Mr Gill (pictured) believes the professionals are controlling politicians rather than the other way round.

That's what you get when you have weak politicians. Can anyone blame government officials? If you knew your weak boss never argued about anything you suggested you'd be doing it too.

That's what you get when you have weak politicians. Can anyone blame government officials? If you knew your weak boss never argued about anything you suggested you'd be doing it too.

That's a good point, but are they all bad!!! We hear a select few MHK's names repeatedly voicing their concerns, while the rest we hardly even know exist until election time.

The other side of the issue, that goes somewhat against what you just said, is can the MHK's really do anything about it?

Staaue.

Politicians controlled by officials - MHK

Rushen member Quintin Gill was speaking after Tynwald debated spending £1.25 million on road works at Governor's Bridge.

He says politicians are elected to make decisions, but that becomes a problem when the political view differs from the professional one.

Well done Mr Gill. About time someone in your position spoke out loud to confirm what we all know. :D :D

Does anybody know what the relationship between the civil service and government is in, say, the UK? I'd be interested to know how far civil servants act as advisors for government in other places.

I have had some experience of the civil service (Whitehall) and Government in the UK. The department my then employer had most dealings with, very definitely had its agenda and policy set by whoever was the Secretary of State at the time. However, you could see hints of the 'Yes, Minister' manipulation, but this was clearly within the confines of the policy dictated by the SofS. Although, how far the general policy was influenced by the civil servants was a moot point. It was always said it was the decision-makers you needed to influence, not the decision-takers.

Archived