Its All A Gamble By The Iom Government

spock

The IOM Government will be attending the ICEi show 22-24 January and hoping its luck is in in attracting more gamling business to IOM. Does it have a stacked deck?

http://www.ice-exhibition.com/104/203/1064/1050/index.php

also

MICROGAMING NEW GAMES RELEASE ADVISORY: JANUARY 2008

ISLE OF MAN - Leading online gaming software provider Microgaming launches its 2008 gaming calendar in style, releasing a range of no less than five quality new games for January. All will be on show – alongside the full suite of Microgaming's market leading technologies, at this month's ICEi show (22-24 Jan – Earls Court, London). Make sure you visit the team at stand 5230.

On a smiliare subject why didn't IOM Government's Marine Administration attend the Excel Collins Stewart Boat Show - surely they are supposed to be attarcting super-yacht business to IOM?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The IOM Government will be attending the ICEi show 22-24 January and hoping its luck is in in attracting more gamling business to IOM. Does it have a stacked deck?

I wish them all the best luck but I can't help thinking that with the storm clouds circling and a rumoured recessionary environment some of these businesses are going to die on their arses. People just don't piss money away when its gets harder to earn it.

I wish them all the best luck but I can't help thinking that with the storm clouds circling and a rumoured recessionary environment some of these businesses are going to die on their arses. People just don't piss money away when its gets harder to earn it.

Don't forget - it's a global industry and the likes of MG work for some of the biggest books on the planet. Even if the UK goes on its arse, Asia's still huge and growing...

Don't forget - it's a global industry and the likes of MG work for some of the biggest books on the planet. Even if the UK goes on its arse, Asia's still huge and growing...

Agreed. I was not talking about MG - I'm sure that is different - but the earlier bit of the post about attracting more of these sort of businesses. This sort of stuff tends to be hyper-cyclical and feeds off other wealth bubbles like the stockmarket and other speculative wealth creation markets. Japanese and other Asian stockmarkets like Hong Kong & Singapore are getting a big battering too - its not just confined to the UK or US. If people are not making the wealth in other areas of their lives a good many of the smaller players could go tits very easily as the stake money dries up as people divert money back into the real economy.

Plus, it's a lot easier to ignore the inevitable misery and ruin that this sleazy industry will cause when it's on the other side of the world. I personally find it disgraceful that the island should be backing this vice for profit. Bizarre moral double standards if ever one saw them.

Plus, it's a lot easier to ignore the inevitable misery and ruin that this sleazy industry will cause when it's on the other side of the world. I personally find it disgraceful that the island should be backing this vice for profit. Bizarre moral double standards if ever one saw them.

Jeez..not this discussion again... Gambling is better and stricter regulated than almost any other industry. If you haven't got a problem with banks giving out credit cards or pubs selling beer, then you shouldn't have a problem with the online gambling/betting/gaming industry. IOM regulations are among the strictest around, which is the reason why the island got white listed recently.

All reasonable safeguards are in place - no credit, self exclusion, age verification, anti money laundering regs, etc, etc.. Get away from that image of smoky back rooms and men with sunglasses collecting winnings in dark back alleys. Times have moved on and although there are, and will always be, problem gamblers, you will find that most activity is simply recreational gambling. In the age of betfair there are also more and more semi-professional and professional punters and the rule that a punter has to lose for the bookie to win doesn't apply all the time anymore. If you want to rant about gambling, then aim your comments at fruit machines - got my backing there. These useless rip-off devices should be banned outright.

Don't forget, it's looking like a global recession. Here's a great explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YbjQSQwIcY

Online Gaming seems to be a bit fair weather, we attracted them here from some other jurisdiction with a shiney carrot, and it'll be just as easy for someone else to do the same to the ones that are here.

Online Gaming seems to be a bit fair weather, we attracted them here from some other jurisdiction with a shiney carrot, and it'll be just as easy for someone else to do the same to the ones that are here.

But isn't that the same for nearly all industries we're trying to attract or have already? I.e. the whole finance sector/banks/investment/insurance/shipping/etc..

But isn't that the same for nearly all industries we're trying to attract or have already? I.e. the whole finance sector/banks/investment/insurance/shipping/etc..

Yes it is and as Slim says, just wait till somewhere else produces an even bigger shinier carrot.....................

If you haven't got a problem with banks giving out credit cards or pubs selling beer, then you shouldn't have a problem with the online gambling/betting/gaming industry.

I do have a problem with both those examples actually.

IOM regulations are among the strictest around, which is the reason why the island got white listed recently.

No amount of regulation can justify a fundamentally immoral activity other than to the profiteers.

All reasonable safeguards are in place - no credit, self exclusion, age verification, anti money laundering regs, etc, etc.. Get away from that image of smoky back rooms and men with sunglasses collecting winnings in dark back alleys.

I didn't have that image actually - mine was more of families being turfed out of their home thanks to a gambling problem.

Times have moved on and although there are, and will always be, problem gamblers, you will find that most activity is simply recreational gambling.

One could say the same for recreational drug use - the island's stance on that is rather less accommodating. What is the rationale? Our enthusiasm for giving Asians what we think they deserve doesn't apply to our own population?

In the age of betfair there are also more and more semi-professional and professional punters and the rule that a punter has to lose for the bookie to win doesn't apply all the time anymore. If you want to rant about gambling, then aim your comments at fruit machines - got my backing there. These useless rip-off devices should be banned outright.

When you put it like that it seems everyone's a winner.

So you don't like credit cards, pubs or gambling - what about mortgages? Banks? Anything else from the real world? The immoral comment sounds nearly religious and the image of a family losing their house obviously fits nicely with your rather extreme view, which is your opinion and fair enough.

As with nearly every activity, you'll have to ask yourself how much cotton wool you want to wrap people in - age checks for online gambling are stringent and anyone who engages in it is of the appropriate age to do so, i.e. an adult. The vast majority of people that bet online do not develop any problems or addictions, neither do most punters that stake the odd fiver at their local bookie before heading down the pub to watch the game. A growing number is taking betting more seriously, beyond the recreational level and more towards the aim of generating additional income - as I said, the game has changed drastically since betfair came along.

Not everyone's gonna win and yes, there are - and will always be - problem gamblers. I am not denying the fact that this activity can have a severe impact on someone's life if it gets out of control - of course it can, and maybe there is a need to offer more upfront information and warnings, and better support, but by its pure nature it should be pretty clear to anyone that there is risk involved. The first and most important rule has always been, still is, and will always be: Do not bet with money you can't afford to lose. People have gambled for god knows how long and will always do so in some way - at the end of the day it's an industry like any other, with the small difference that no bookie is allowed to offer you a credit card with a 10k limit to fritter away, charge you interest, or give you a mortgage you won't be able to pay back.

It's a clear cut deal and no-one pretends that there isn't any risk. Margins have dropped brutally over the last years and things have never looked better for punters. You'll find some markets priced down to 102 - 104%, with some books even offering some matches with no juice just to stand out. As you seem to be of the moral variety, I'm starting to wonder how you cope with life in general today, tbh - by your thinking, is it wrong for any company to make profit? Should we just go and shut down all banks and anyone who does anything that's immoral in your view? Is the whole of Athol street solely populated by immoral men and women that do their evil deeds every day? Sorry, but I see online betting as a business like any other, and in fact think it offers a way more fair deal than many other industries do. No business, industry or service can think or make a decision for you, may this be finance, betting, drinking, or whatever else - all of these will always be around, if you like it or not - the least we can do is ensure the folks with the big cigars don't return to the back alleys.

age checks for online gambling are stringent and anyone who engages in it is of the appropriate age to do so, i.e. an adult.

They are? Don't remember anything more than the usual tick boxes etc.

They definitely are - it's more than just ticking boxes. Plenty of checks and other things in place to ensure compliance...

They definitely are - it's more than just ticking boxes. Plenty of checks and other things in place to ensure compliance...

Like what? You're doing a cambon here, talking authoritively without any backup. I'm a member on a few different poker sites, and all they've ever done is ask me to confirm via a tick box. Here's pokerstars policy:

http://www.pokerstars.co.uk/about/responsible-gaming/

You 'may' be asked for a passport, but other than that, its tick a box and enter a dob. How can they verify age?

Absolutely, yes, although online gambling is quicker to shift than most because it's so easily relocatable.

I'm a member on a few different poker sites, and all they've ever done is ask me to confirm via a tick box. Here's pokerstars policy:

http://www.pokerstars.co.uk/about/responsible-gaming/

You 'may' be asked for a passport, but other than that, its tick a box and enter a dob. How can they verify age?

Yes. But how many under 18's get issued with credit cards? This is the fall back position of the businessess concerned. Most people under 18 cannot get a credit card to play against anyway so the tick is only a double check.

Not that I'm defending them at all - its largely a crappy industry in my eyes.

Archived