[BBC News] Nominations sought for Manx award

Newsbot

Tynwald? Surely an occasion for a glittering award ceremony presented by a bloke who wears jumpers and a tribute singer/band?

What's the odds that someone outside the 'club' will win..............

More to the point who would you nominate?

This Island seems to be teeming with back slapping, self-congratulatory awards and smug boasting these days.

So it's a difficult choice. If it had to be for someone who serves many, many people on the Isle of Man without seeking recognition, even at great financial loss to himself (Hiya Albert!) then I would nominate:

A certain Mr Kissack

For keeping this site going. Perhaps to receive the award on behalf of all the team.

I’d nominate Frances Coakley.

I think what she has done in the archival work putting Manx historical resources and archives online is an outstanding achievement. Her site is one of the most important resources on the Isle of Man on the Internet. It's essential to anyone interested in the island’s history. What she’s been able to do is something that Manx National Heritage and the Manx Government ought to be doing but haven’t. It's obviously been a huge job transcribing and publishing these documents online - and I reckon she deserves real recognition for what she's done.

What an excellent nomination.

I''ve seen the site grow and grow over the past few years. I once asked Frances if she has an army helping her input everything - no, there was just herself!

An amazing resource.

A Manx Note Book

Coo - don't think I've ever seen the site before but a quick glimpse says it's full of really interesting stuff.

Thanks for the link. :)

I’d nominate Frances Coakley.

I think what she has done in the archival work putting Manx historical resources and archives online is an outstanding achievement. Her site is one of the most important resources on the Isle of Man on the Internet. It's essential to anyone interested in the island’s history. What she’s been able to do is something that Manx National Heritage and the Manx Government ought to be doing but haven’t. It's obviously been a huge job transcribing and publishing these documents online - and I reckon she deserves real recognition for what she's done.

I'll second that nomination Skeddan and there's so much information in here, its fantastic.

Great work and well deserving

Dave Molyneux is the most successful MANXMAN ever

That is a hell of a lot of pressure you're putting him under there! The must successful manxman EVER? I bet I'm more successful than him at Pro Evo...or writing essays at 6am...or even procrastinating.

;)

P.S. The manx notebook website is amazing, very very useful.

Here is a link which gives some info on how to actually submit a nomination - its from 2007 - I haven't been able to find a more up to date version. I assume it might be the same address etc. though the closing date for 2008 is different.

http://www.tynwald.org.im/papers/press/2007/pr03.pdf

It looks like maybe only members of Manx public can submit nominations - I don't live there so I can't put forward a nomination for Frances Coakley myself, so perhaps someone else might? (I'd be happy to help with 'supporting reasons' etc.).

Archived