Fatal Road Acccident Statistics Revealed

Albert Tatlock

European wide figures for 2006 are available - http://ec.europa.eu/transport/roadsafety_l.../scoreboard.pdf - UK had 56 deaths/million a decrease from 63 deaths/million in 2001

IoM best year (assuming an 80k population) was 100/Million and worst year around 170/million

I believe they do not include deaths on closed roads (ie TT,MGP etc) but not sure re death in Peel go-kart race

It is good to see the figures openly published - there was an extended debate on this (and earlier boards) in which I estimated that the Manx death rate was around twice that of the UK but obviously for the early years I was unduly optimistic - about 3x the UK rate is appalling and no wonder the Gov did not openly publish the fugures.

Obviously with a much smaller base from which the statistics are drawn, each single incident would have a much greater significance and a wider variation in annual figures would also be expected but on UK figures about 4 to 5 deaths/year should have been expected.

Just been looking online for road safety related figures and found this regarding The Isle of Wight via a link

Isle of Wight 5 arrested out of 282 breath tested Population 140,000 ish

On drug-driving, ten tests were also carried out on the IW, resulting in only one failure.

And as on the MR news site

IM 83 breath tested 31 arrested. Population 80,000 ish

I believe they do not include deaths on closed roads (ie TT,MGP etc) but not sure re death in Peel go-kart race

It is good to see the figures openly published - there was an extended debate on this (and earlier boards) in which I estimated that the Manx death rate was around twice that of the UK but obviously for the early years I was unduly optimistic - about 3x the UK rate is appalling and no wonder the Gov did not openly publish the fugures.

Obviously with a much smaller base from which the statistics are drawn, each single incident would have a much greater significance and a wider variation in annual figures would also be expected but on UK figures about 4 to 5 deaths/year should have been expected.

You are not comparing like with like. A comparison is far more complex than that, including - not least - total miles driven, types of roads, types of accident etc. etc. Certain Counties of the UK (e.g. Yorkshire, London etc.) differ substantially to a similar degree compared to the overall UK figures.

I also used the Isle of Wight as possibly a better match for the Manx Road system - some years ago they had a campaign that hoped to get down to near zero fatalities for the Island.

The Eurpean paper also shows the vast improvement in French statistics over the previous 7 years - the french police cracked down on alcohol and speeding.

Just been looking online for road safety related figures and found this regarding The Isle of Wight via a link

Isle of Wight 5 arrested out of 282 breath tested Population 140,000 ish

On drug-driving, ten tests were also carried out on the IW, resulting in only one failure.

And as on the MR news site

IM 83 breath tested 31 arrested. Population 80,000 ish

There were over 800 stopped on the island.

I also used the Isle of Wight as possibly a better match for the Manx Road system

The Isle of Wight is small, flat and completely different to the Isle of Man. A closer comparison IMO would be e.g. North Yorks which has similar roads. Plus you have to adjust for visitors and mileage etc. - the Isle of Wight does not get and additional 20,000 high powered bikes for a couple of weeks each year.

There were over 800 stopped on the island.

Which Island?

IOM - only 83 were breath tested and out of them 31 were arrested as opposed to 282 - 5 - Isle of Wight . Perhaps someone of more mathematical bent than I could give us relevant percentages?

the Isle of Wight does not get and additional 20,000 high powered bikes for a couple of weeks each year.

That may explain a higher death rate but has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas/New Year drink driving.

edits for spelling and clarity - such as it is.

UK police cannot have random stops - they have to have some reason that could stand up in court (eg faulty light etc) - whereas Manx law I understand allows random stop then the police use their judgement as to who to test - the 800 were possibly a 'random' sample of motorists of whom they thought 10% worth testing (and 30% of their estimated over limit proved to be so). Whereas the Wight police had sufficient reason to stop 280(and it seems have a mandatory breath test) but only 5 failed the breath test (would seem to indicate a sober driving population that doesnt check their lights etc)

Which Island?

IOM - only 83 were breath tested and out of them 31 were arrested as opposed to 282 - 5 - Isle of Wight . Perhaps someone of more mathematical bent than I could give us relevant percentages?

the Isle of Wight does not get and additional 20,000 high powered bikes for a couple of weeks each year.

That may explain a higher death rate but has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas/New Year drink driving.

edit for spelling and clarity - such as it is.

From MR: "Around eight hundred motorists were stopped during the campaign, and 83 breath tests were administered."

The first thing they will be checking for on the island is whether they should give you a breath test - rather than just randomly test everyone with a breath test. The breathalyser is used more as a matter of course in the UK than on the island.

When you look at the stopped and arrested figures for Hampshire/Isle of Wight, and compare that with the Isle of Man - the figures come out as:

Hampshire/IOW: 163 arrests/5564 stopped = 2.93%

Isle of Man: 28 arrests/800 stopped = 3.50%

....which are fairly comparable.

However, dig deeper and the figures for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight in 2006 were 374 arrested/5916 stopped = 6.32% i.e. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight were twice as bad a year ago, as the Isle of Man was this year. This years Hampshire/IOW "Drink-driving arrests drop by 56%" - simply got them back to where we are, so given they tested a similar amount of people last year, we have to ask the question what did they do this year that we should be doing.

If you want to compare you will also need to take into account each island's marketing campaign as well as any other prevention/deterrent measures that are used. Then you could go further into how successful the campaigns were, amount spent on them, and to be honest, it gets too complicated.

Stats are just data which is pretty meaningless unless you can see what goes on underneath.

If you want to compare you will also need to take into account each island's marketing campaign as well as any other prevention/deterrent measures that are used. Then you could go further into how successful the campaigns were, amount spent on them, and to be honest, it gets too complicated.

Stats are just data which is pretty meaningless unless you can see what goes on underneath.

There are other subtle differences too, such as when you do a breakdown of the IOW v IOM census by age, the Isle of Man has 3% more of it's population who are of 'driving age' i.e. (aged 15-74) than does the Isle of Wight.

I also used the Isle of Wight as possibly a better match for the Manx Road system

The Isle of Wight is small, flat and completely different to the Isle of Man. A closer comparison IMO would be e.g. North Yorks which has similar roads. Plus you have to adjust for visitors and mileage etc. - the Isle of Wight does not get and additional 20,000 high powered bikes for a couple of weeks each year.

So, you've never actually been to the IOW then. It is smaller, but certainly not flat. It's a 25 minutes journey from Portsmouth and the population increases by some 2.000 every day between 8 and 7. It has about twice the static population and better roads. The amount of vehicles I do not know but some will certainly be high powered bikes, possibly more than 20.000 per year overall, accounting for repeat visits (commuters).

It is, however, better served with decent roads, cheaper and quicker to get to, served with better weather and a thriving tourist industry. Just what point is it you are trying to concoct from your badly researched 'facts'?

Known as 'The Garden Isle', this jewel of England indeed resembles a diamond in shape - being some 23 miles west to east, from The Needles to Bembridge, and 13 miles north to south, from Cowes to St. Catherine's Point. This, the smallest, and perhaps the most geographically diverse, of England's counties covers just 147 square miles and is bounded by about 60 miles of coastline.

The natural processes of deposition, folding and erosion during the last 120 million years have resulted in the rich variety of the Island's surface geology. The clay soils in the north and mainly sandy loams in the south are bisected by a chalk spine running west to east across the entire Island, and reaching 240 metres (787 feet) above sea level at its highest point on St. Boniface Down. The resulting and kaleidoscopic contrasts in the Island's scenery encompass open downland, beech woods, conifer forests, grazing land, wide sandy beaches, sheer chalk cliffs, rocky coves, creeks and estuaries.

So, neither small nor flat.

Thank goodness I didn't imagine all those hills I used to cycle up and down as a teenager for the 5 years I lived there.

Archived