Web Plagiarism A Serious Problem

germann

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're right! I blame the LSE, and everyone else but myself.

Have you considered a career in politics?

Often, but if you're going to enter a position of power a bloody coup really is the only way to get it, and I can't find anyone to sponser me and pay my minions :(

On the course I'm currently doing, one of my tutors, who is a respected expert in his field, includes links to wikipedia in his material.

On my first day here, we were all gathered together and had mortal fear instilled in us about the consequences of plagiarism, and in one module I'm doing, there's a group assignment where we all have to work together :o

cheatage

:mellow: Any reference to wikipedia is always suspect, especially as the content referenced can be changed very quickly by anyone. It's often a good source for information, if you need facts and figures wikipedia is a good place to look and then verify what is said with a creditable source. Credibility is often a major issue with citing internet sources, I've had cases where respected, peer reviewed eJournals have disappeared whilst writing an essay which is always a worry especially given that my subject choice pretty much requires the use of them.

On my current course I'm actually using wikipedia as a case study and my tutor nearly had a minor heart attack when she saw wikipedia in my reference list before actually reading the content.

On the course I'm currently doing, one of my tutors, who is a respected expert in his field, includes links to wikipedia in his material.

It depends in what context the references appear. I know some people use Wikipedia for quick and easy references when it comes to scientific and mathematical subjects (although for maths there are far better websites out there), and the humanities sometimes use it if you want to check things like facts or chronologies, but I can't imagine any one ever using it for any other reason.

On my first day here, we were all gathered together and had mortal fear instilled in us about the consequences of plagiarism, and in one module I'm doing, there's a group assignment where we all have to work together :o

That's a bit different though. Plagiarism is essentially nicking anything that the author hasn't produced themselves and passing it off as their own. If a paper, essay, or whatever is a group effort then it's the group that is the author in this case, and hence plagiarism only really applies to content used within it that's been published by anyone not in the group.

Archived