Mhks Petrol Perks

Sharp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pamela Crowe MLC has claimed the next highest amount with £3,836.86.

Post Office chairman Mrs Crowe, who is a member of a standing committee which scrutinises Tynwald policy and is a former environment minister, also lives in the Rushen constituency.

She said she had a heavy workload as chairman of the Isle of Man Post Office and DHSS member in charge of health services – and her mileage claim reflected this.

She said she travelled to the office from her home in Port Erin every day, was often at the Post Office by 7am and as part of her remit at the DHSS visited health service facilities and dentists around the Island.

She said: 'I know some members do not claim but it's something I did when I first started and I suppose I stuck with. Maybe I should stop claiming.'

Link

I note that Phil Gawne, travels a similar distance to work and presumably as part of his Ministerial responsibilities has to visit fields and trees all over the Island, but didn't claim anything.

It seems reasonable to claim for additional travel if you are flitting between Nobles, The Post Office and the Ramsey Health Centre, but not to and from work?

So you're saying they shouldn't get their expenses then?

I worked out at a genorous £1.10 per litre driving a gass guzzling HumVee (approx 11 MPG) Quentin Gill would cover over 8,600 miles per annum on those expenses.

I'm sure he doesn't drive a Hummer, so he must get through a lot of miles.

I'm all for expenses being paid, but I like to see it not being abused. Others don't claim so much and they "apply themselves to their duties whole heartedly and are full-time committed MHK's."

I just want some accountability.

Free parking, Lunch Vouchers+meals out paid for when entertaining other officials. Can anyone answer why some of the HMKs take their partners away with them when on Government Buisness and who picks up the Bill. They also travel first or buisness class too.

The mileage allowance is based on a pence per mile covered element as I could claim at the Govt rate when travelling long distances with my job (not public sector I hasten to add) and bill on to client.

I think the pence per mile I got in 2006 (the last time I had to do some UK driving) was the same as the Govt rate at about 50p per mile if I took my big car and 40p/mile if I took the little one.

So the claim of £4k is - if my maths are right based on 8,000 miles or thereabouts of mileage. And I know from living near Glen Roy with travel from there to Douglas for work and at weekends, I'd easily do 6,000 miles a year.

Isn't the most sensible thing to offer a free bus pass to those under 60 and let them use that - it's not that Douglas isn't well served and perhaps then they may discover for themselves the problems of public transport at first hand. Also why pay any extra for a bigger car - unless it is needed to convey more passengers (though I may concede one possible exception of a certain MLC who may need the additional horsepower)

Dont Tynwald go into recess for 8 weeks in the summer, they have other holiday time as well, do they work 7 days a week. I dont think so. They are looking at a pay rise and its a new Government you can bet they get an inflation buster rise in salary and expences.

1400cc or less 1401c - 2000cc more than 2001cc

20p per mile travelled 25p per mile travelled 37p per mile travelled

The mileage allowance is based on a pence per mile covered element as I could claim at the Govt rate when travelling long distances with my job (not public sector I hasten to add) and bill on to client.

I think the pence per mile I got in 2006 (the last time I had to do some UK driving) was the same as the Govt rate at about 50p per mile if I took my big car and 40p/mile if I took the little one.

So the claim of £4k is - if my maths are right based on 8,000 miles or thereabouts of mileage. And I know from living near Glen Roy with travel from there to Douglas for work and at weekends, I'd easily do 6,000 miles a year.

In these environmentally-conscious times, wouldn't it be nice if they scrapped the distinction between "big" and "little" cars and just paid 40p/mile (or whatever the rate is)...?

6,000 to 8,000 miles a year sounds fair enough for annual IOM mileage if you include travel to and from work. But is there anyone in real life that gets to claim that back though?

I think MHKs do a very good job for very little money and if this allowance helps them then it is well deserved and worth it and we should all be grateful that they guide our nation so wisely.

/F**k me this acid is strong

I think MHKs do a very good job for very little money and if this allowance helps them then it is well deserved and worth it and we should all be grateful that they guide our nation so wisely.

/F**k me this acid is strong

Ah!!! Why didn't someone say earlier that they were guiding the nation. Here's me thinking that they were in it for the money :blink:

I've no doubt now, that they'll not accept any pay rise whilst there's so many of them and catch the local transport at their every chance.

Maybe they should consider having tax benefits for having blind dogs, as most of them are leading us astray at the moment. :zorro:

I regularly check the mileage costs on my taxi (a Ford Mondeo) and, at present, it works out at about 17p - 20p per mile.

At that rate, I could comfortably do around 20,000 miles for what Mr Gill is allowed.

Archived