Investigating Douglas Rate Proposals

spock

Prediction from former Cllr Corkish in today's Examiner looks entirely reasonable - that the existing Councillors wil try to "buy" their re-elecion by this year agreeing a lower than previous rate rise. Surely just as DOLGE can investigate high rate rises they should be able to impose a minimum rate rise because otherwise all that will happen is next year there will be a swinging rise.

Why can't Douglas and other Council bugets be set for say a rolling three / five year term? Surely the costs and plans are known in advance and all that needs to be allowed for are increase variances due to costs increaseing outside of a Council's control?

Prediction from former Cllr Corkish in today's Examiner looks entirely reasonable - that the existing Councillors wil try to "buy" their re-elecion by this year agreeing a lower than previous rate rise.

Why don't they just do a Braddan - ignore the deficit and publish accounts saying its a breakeven and peg the rates to that instead?

Yes, well said 'Spock'. I did see that very interesting letter in the examiner (PS I did not buy it - read it in the library)

I am actually moving out of Douglas next month, as paying GBP300 for my bin to be emptied most weeks is a ludicrous waste of my money.

I only have a flat at the moment, but the rate charge for an 'average' house will soon be over the grand mark in a year or two....

Of course Rates never go down, even if an area of inefficiency has been addressed and is no longer costing as much.....

Dougals rates to rise by 3.9%

INIwegwegJanuary291937.jpg

Douglas rates are going up - but below the rate of inflation.

A 3.9 per cent increase has been announced, taking the capital's rate to 373 pence in the pound.

It's within the maximum rate set by the local government department and comes into force on April the first.

Council Leader David Christian believes the new rate will secure savings, without compromising the level of services provided to the rate payer.

And reflecting on the past four years ahead of April’s election, he said much had been achieved (audio file attached):

Well, what a shock! Even more money to have my bin emptied.....

Luckily I am moving out of Douglas, one major reason is because of the ludicrous rates - the only thing I get for my money is getting my never full bin emptied, and er streetlights I guess..... :(

Well, what a shock! Even more money to have my bin emptied.....

Luckily I am moving out of Douglas, one major reason is because of the ludicrous rates - the only thing I get for my money is getting my never full bin emptied, and er streetlights I guess..... :(

..and the library where you read the Examiner, eh?

Oh and ta for paying for the fireworks on douglas prom for us all to enjoy, cheers!

Ah well, another rate rise doesn't shock me these days, as someone has to pay for the little luxuries for all these councilors and MHK's, what with all their mileage allowances and other expenditures at the moment :P

Archived