[BBC News] Public in favour of saving pier

Newsbot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
name='La_Dolce_Vita' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:49 AM' post='296377']

Aren't there concerns that it cannot be saved? Isn't it already falling apart?

no, look its still there

I would be sad to lose it. I suppose the problem is ploughing so much money into something that wouldn't be functional.

what? like the iris pump money in to shite non functional thingy, or is that pump shite in to money non functional thingy?

Many surveys have been done.

the question now is how do they wriggle out of this one?

The people have spoken, to back away from refurbishment now would be a slap in the face for democracy and the people of the island. I will do all I can, as a mere mortal, to see it refurbished. It needs everyone to speak to government and their local MHKs to see it gets done and done properly, not some half arsed attempt at plastic heritage.

Join in, 'Pimp my pier' and see Ramsey recognised.

It was my understanding the surveys were done and they based their options/proposals on this - surely now is the time move things on, the people have spoken, they have the costings, I agree Skrappey, its down to the public voice to be heard and that this isnt going to be talked about for another 5 years with zero action

I will do all I can, as a mere mortal, to see it refurbished.

As Douglas ratepayers pay for the horse trams perhaps the Queens Pier refurbishments can be part paid by an increase in Ramsey's rates. Seems fair to me.

What, like I'm sure Laxey ratepayers pay for upkeep and maintenance of the wheel?

Instead of forcing this on Island taxpayers/ratepayers they should use fundraising to get the money. If these 2100 people all pitched in £100 each, you'd have over 200k already. You want it? You pay for it. Either that or ask for a fully repayable loan from the Government, complete with a full business plan as to how they plan to utilise the pier to repay the monies.

Otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.

Instead of forcing this on Island taxpayers/ratepayers they should use fundraising to get the money. If these 2100 people all pitched in £100 each, you'd have over 200k already. You want it? You pay for it. Either that or ask for a fully repayable loan from the Government, complete with a full business plan as to how they plan to utilise the pier to repay the monies.

Otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.

So they waste the same ammount of money ripping it down as they would refurbishing it?? Either way its going to cost some money, may as well keep one of the few remaining features we still have

Ripping it down is a one off cost, and unless you have some evidence to the contrary, I'd say it's probably going to be cheaper.

Restoring it and then maintaining it is an ongoing cost. And for what? What is the pier actually for? So many people say "Yes! Keep it" but nobody ever seems to know what they would actually do with it.

Ripping it down is a one off cost, and unless you have some evidence to the contrary, I'd say it's probably going to be cheaper.

Restoring it and then maintaining it is an ongoing cost. And for what? What is the pier actually for? So many people say "Yes! Keep it" but nobody ever seems to know what they would actually do with it.

I stand to be corrected here, but if I recall the cost of refurbishing and the cost of ripping it down were pretty much the same. Rip it down you have nothing, and lost yet more heritage. Refurbish it and you will have something at least, it will bring people to the area and hopefully boost local economy, and I am sure some income could be generated on the per itself, and yes I know that wont be enough to maintain its upkeep, but better that than pull it down. And if the survey said people would like to see it as part of Marina (though I cant see it happening) if it did then the commercial opportunities would certainly be lucrative

Bring people to the area? To see a pier? Are people that desperate for things to do? I really can't see staring at a pier being a particularly lengthy or repeatable activity.

The thing is with surveys like this, they don't present a true picture. If the question was "If restoring the pier meant an additional £200 on your rates this year, and a further £75 per year on upkeep from there on, would you support the restoration of the pier", I bet you'd see a dramatic change in response.

People get questions like "Do you want the pier restored" and get all romantic and think the money fairies are just going to do it for free. You put a real cost to them on it, and they'll get a lot more shy about their votes.

Archived