[BBC News] Public in favour of saving pier

Newsbot

Bring people to the area? To see a pier? Are people that desperate for things to do? I really can't see staring at a pier being a particularly lengthy or repeatable activity.

The thing is with surveys like this, they don't present a true picture. If the question was "If restoring the pier meant an additional £200 on your rates this year, and a further £75 per year on upkeep from there on, would you support the restoration of the pier", I bet you'd see a dramatic change in response.

People get questions like "Do you want the pier restored" and get all romantic and think the money fairies are just going to do it for free. You put a real cost to them on it, and they'll get a lot more shy about their votes.

Well pull the pier down, blow up laxey wheel, rip up the mountain railway, life will be so much better and cheaper!! Sure some statistician can work out how the TT f@cks the local economy and we get shot of that as well!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bring people to the area? To see a pier? Are people that desperate for things to do? I really can't see staring at a pier being a particularly lengthy or repeatable activity.

The thing is with surveys like this, they don't present a true picture. If the question was "If restoring the pier meant an additional £200 on your rates this year, and a further £75 per year on upkeep from there on, would you support the restoration of the pier", I bet you'd see a dramatic change in response.

People get questions like "Do you want the pier restored" and get all romantic and think the money fairies are just going to do it for free. You put a real cost to them on it, and they'll get a lot more shy about their votes.

Why not? People travel to see what is basically a big wheel in Laxey.

Well pull the pier down, blow up laxey wheel, rip up the mountain railway, life will be so much better and cheaper!! Sure some statistician can work out how the TT f@cks the local economy and we get shot of that as well!!

Jeez don't stamp your feet. Other residents opinions are valid too.

I do not want to pay a single penny in additional taxes for an "attraction" that does not benefit me in the least and which I will never visit.

The money is better spent elsewhere. If I remember rightly from the news this morning the survey was sent out to a few thousand people - not me - and had less than a 50% response rate. "The people have spoken" my arse.

I appreciate that - however people seem to sweep things aside so quickly now, dare I say if the pier was in Douglas the refurbishment would be well under way now (all said without stomping)

Residents that are going to have to contribute to the bill no less.

Residents that are going to have to contribute to the bill no less.

Would be nice if we could pick and choose what we contribute to oon our rates wouldnt it?

Well that's not realistic really. There are lots of things I pay for that I don't use, but equally there are things that I do use that other people pay for. I just don't see what anyone would do with it and that's the crux of my objection to this.

Well that's not realistic really. There are lots of things I pay for that I don't use, but equally there are things that I do use that other people pay for. I just don't see what anyone would do with it and that's the crux of my objection to this.

So you wll no doubt be objecting when they have to pull the pier down at a cost of £millions of tax/rate payers money

Why not? People travel to see what is basically a big wheel in Laxey.

When was the last time you went? I know the last time I went was 20 years ago. At least.

Probably a good 18 years ago, however I did used to walk up and down the pier a lot, before they closed it to the public that is.

So you wll no doubt be objecting when they have to pull the pier down at a cost of £millions of tax/rate payers money

As I understand it, it can't be left as it's dangerous to just leave it to fall apart so something has to be done and I'd rather take the cheaper long term option because the Island has enough white elephants without throwing money at creating more.

As I understand it, it can't be left as it's dangerous to just leave it to fall apart so something has to be done and I'd rather take the cheaper long term option because the Island has enough white elephants without throwing money at creating more.

Looks like it will be left to me and Skrappy to chain ourselves to the pier gates

Archived