[BBC News] Public in favour of saving pier

Newsbot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a decent photographic archive of it?

I've seen the Friends of Queens Pier website and the Piers.co.uk site too and the other link in this thread about the narrow guage railway but they all seem a bit limited.

Surely there must be more pictures around than that - especially those looking back to the shoreline from the end of the pier?

I don't think it was ever used for cars tbh (although I stand to be corrected on that point).

Nope it was never used for cars, when it was built very few people asides from the rich actually had cars, but nowadays most people have a car and want to go away for shopping trips or visits etc, not saying it couldn't work, but it could only carry passengers, no freight or cars etc...

Few(er?) people would have had cars in them days anyway in fairness, so it would not have been a major concern. The only real problem I can see for using it as a ferry berth is that surely it would be impossible to use in anything much above flat calm? It might still be a good place to launch sightseeing trips from or something though.

When this thread I was a bit agnostic about the whole thing, but now I just wish they'd get on with it and restore it, especially as it will cost almost as much to knock the damn thing down. It is never going to be a major tourist attraction, but as long as the building at the end is renovated in such a way as to make it 'multi-purpose,' then people should be able to get some decent use out of it.

Perhaps the government should chuck in a few extra pennies to help refurbish the Manxman at the same time. Passenger trips to and from Ramsey would at least give both parts of our heritage a useful function to perform.

post-1037-1201520574_thumb.jpg

post-1037-1201520673_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the government should chuck in a few extra pennies to help refurbish the Manxman at the same time. Passenger trips to and from Ramsey would at least give both parts of our heritage a useful function to perform.

post-1037-1201520574_thumb.jpg

post-1037-1201520673_thumb.jpg

They should sink it in Manx Waters, it would be good for divers, fishermen and tourism.

Was just going to say:

I'm a bit surprised actually that the site doesn't seem to have any remotely recent updates (unless I'm just being blind), and no comment on the outcome of this survey.

I'd have expected them to be pretty much using it as a rallying cry to keep hassling the government really.

But you sort of beat me to it!

Archived