New Buses Being Tested

Jesdo

To really lay the icing on the cake, how about a service that has a last bus at midnight instead of 10.45pm? This could stop desperate people from driving home drunk when they can't find/afford a taxi.

With the state of some of the drunks at that time of night, would you want to be the driver? I'd imagine that the driver is allowed to not take someone who's too drunk, but maybe they don't (the incident last night was a drunk and abusive person, I think) - copper on each midnight bus? :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ticketing system in some European cities such as Prague and Berlin seems to work well.

Just buy a ticket at several outlets or machines which is valid for the zone in which you wish to travel, it is validated on the bus or train by stamping it in a small time clock as you board. It is valid then for whatever value you have purchase, i.e. 1 hour, 1 day, 3 days etc.

It works and seems tried tested and reasonably inexpensive. It's policed by plain clothes inspectors.

To really lay the icing on the cake, how about a service that has a last bus at midnight instead of 10.45pm? This could stop desperate people from driving home drunk when they can't find/afford a taxi.

With the state of some of the drunks at that time of night, would you want to be the driver? I'd imagine that the driver is allowed to not take someone who's too drunk, but maybe they don't (the incident last night was a drunk and abusive person, I think) - copper on each midnight bus? :D

It would be worth a go and I am sure other countries/cities/towns manage it. Most of the punters on the last 22.45hrs bus home have had a few in any case. Looking at the papers, you don't see that many kick offs reported on the bus. I guess the late ones could have CCTV and other measures to sort out the idiots.

You could argue that more problems are caused by people having to walk home drunk, queue for taxis, drink drive etc.

£2 from Douglas to Laxey single on a crap 30 minute journey.

Hmm I paid £4.20 odd (return) to get from Ramsey to Douglas on a double decker......

char_blakey.jpg How much? I bet I know who was driving that bus...

Taxi from Airport to Douglas = c. £30

Car from Airport to Douglas = c. £5 (fuel return journey)

Bus from Airport to Douglas = c. £2

Archived