Sunny Side Down...

ali_bancroft

From Isle of Man online...

Linky

Tourism chiefs have unveiled a new logo that will be used on all off-Island marketing. The old blue and white motif has been replaced with a 'sunburst' Legs of Man. Department of Tourism and Leisure chief executive Carol Glover said the old design had been updated to incorporate the Freedom to Flourish brand.

The whole exercise cost no more than £300, she said.

Mrs Glover said the new logo, designed by Freedom to Flourish brand consultant Alistair Audsley, fitted in with the Island's cross-government corporate approach to marketing. 'It's a new sunnier image. I showed it to the economic development department in Jersey who were impressed and said it look like the sun always shines in the Isle of Man.

'The old logo didn't look corporate and people would not necessarily recognise the Isle of Man off-Island with it. 'But there was no point in throwing it all out and starting again. 'My recommendation to the minister was that we update it and this was done very easily by Alistair Audsley.'

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ok, though it does look a little dated - a little like how imagine Corfu might have marketed itself in the early '90s. Still, for £300 you can't complain given the prices logo designs seem to command these days.

I would have liked to see more dinosaurs and robots in the logo, but I suppose that's asking too much.

From Isle of Man online...

Linky

Tourism chiefs have unveiled a new logo that will be used on all off-Island marketing. The old blue and white motif has been replaced with a 'sunburst' Legs of Man. Department of Tourism and Leisure chief executive Carol Glover said the old design had been updated to incorporate the Freedom to Flourish brand.

The whole exercise cost no more than £300, she said.

Mrs Glover said the new logo, designed by Freedom to Flourish brand consultant Alistair Audsley, fitted in with the Island's cross-government corporate approach to marketing. 'It's a new sunnier image. I showed it to the economic development department in Jersey who were impressed and said it look like the sun always shines in the Isle of Man.

'The old logo didn't look corporate and people would not necessarily recognise the Isle of Man off-Island with it. 'But there was no point in throwing it all out and starting again. 'My recommendation to the minister was that we update it and this was done very easily by Alistair Audsley.'

Nice little earner for Mr Audsley.

Nice move implying the IOM is sunny... until the DTL get reported to trading standards...

Shame we didn't pay more than £300 - we might have got something that had been thought about for more than 10 seconds. This logo really doesn't say anything.

I would have liked to see more dinosaurs and robots in the logo, but I suppose that's asking too much.

That'll be £ 300 please...

ioman5.jpg

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I'd want to have a holiday on the Island having seen that. True there aren't any robots or dinosaurs, but there's rarely any sunshine either so we might as well start lying our tits off to bring in the tourists.

I think it's an interesting logo, especially since it shows the Triskellion as a sunwheel which, as I understand it, was the origin of this symbol. The swept back extremeties - picked out in red here and which are normally the 'feet' show the wheel 'spinning' and the direction in which the sunwheel / Triskellion is turning. You can see it's running :o is it anti-clockwise? Hmmm that's not meant to be good is it? :huh:

Freggyragh, you're right - it is very common - the Triskellion isn't running sunwise either and that's everywhere - that's not good either is it?

You know, it's interesting how before 1765 it was running sunwise, then it seemed to reverse direction. It's also interesting that the arms of the Isle of Man produced by the College of Arms do this also (they ought to know better, shouldn't they?) Come to think of it, it's interesting it has a raven, which is a bird of ill-omen - particularly if used on a standard (very unlucky!). I don't know too much about heraldry, but I read in a history book that turning the arms upside down (called a reversal of arms) was what they called an 'abatement' (something to do with it being a mark of dishonour, or ill-gotten arms or something like that). How do you think you do a reversal with a Triskellion when you can't turn it upside down?

:huh: Do you think they'll have to change them all? :(

:) Maybe not - maybe it shouldn't be sunwise ;)

19th century Manx pun

With one leg I spurn Ireland,

With the second I kick Scotland,

And with the third I kneel to England

catch is anti-clockwise ! - maybe that is why they now officially run clockwise ? - however look at the coins www.manxnotebook.com/manxsoc/msvol17/plates.htm

notice anything ?

Archived