Manx Telecom Take Notice

TheTool

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah, small Island, small population. blah blah.

To be fair to Manx Telecom, we know ours is up and working most of the time, we don't know how well these other cheaper isps perform.

Gurnsey is smaller, and has cheaper broadband than us.

And those of us who are in clans that have pretty much every member on a cheaper isp knows that their connects are generally more reliable than ours. I'm certainly the only one in my group that suffers silly stuff like capped torrents and 512k limits at 3km. IOM is a very poor place for broadband.

In my experience people hear £17.99 for broadband each month on an advert on telly, they don't hear the word "from" and don't bother to check AOL's site to see that is for 256K service, AOL charge £24.99 for 512K service (as do BTBroadband for their uncapped product, again people often don't compare like for like), not a million miles away from what Manxnet charge (£29.23).... I know reality doesn't make for quite as good a headline :) ... also I'm not sure where you were reading about Guernsey being cheaper but they often do that old trick of quoting only half the charge, if you use them as the ISP they charge £29.99 a month (more than Manxnet I do believe!) : http://www.cwgsy.net/portal/xsp/ProductDet...oadband.xml#top

edit 'cos I forgot to add that 3.5KM from the exchange is the 1&2MB limit, 512K has just been upped to 6.5KM from the 5.5KM it used to be before last week.

Why don't they just drop it to £20 or £25 and then that way you will get more people online, most people are not online enough to warrant paying £30 a month.

I am not knocking MT i just think that a lower price would be good for all, and might even get MT more custom.

after all we don't have the choice like they do in the UK we have a monopoly system over here which means pay up or get stuffed.

Ah like for like is it? My manx telecom adsl line is capped, don't see any mention of cappage in the channel islands ones? They do seem to be cheaper too:

http://www.guernsey.net/products_adslbetween.cfm

£26.49 for a 512 in gurnsey.

or how about Jersey:

http://www.localdial.com/adsl/

£24.50 a month for 512. £44.49 for 1mb compared to £49.99 at MT, I make that 10% cheaper?

As for uk prices, , Nildrams no frills 512k uncapped service is 23 quid a month for example, and their a quality isp not cheap and nasty like (ranked no1 on adslgude). The 1gb a month cap is 15 quid a month. Nildham 1mb uncapped is 35 a month, a full 15 quid a month cheaper than MT.

I'm not daft, I don't expect MT to be cheaper than a uk isp, but I don't see how they can't at least match the channel island prices, and why they have to be nearly double uk isp prices. I also don't know why we have to have bittorrent so capped as to make it virtually useless. world of warcraft is distributed over bittorrent, took flipping days to download it.

By the way, the manxnet website still says the distance for 512 is 5.5k and 1mb is 3.5k. BT seem to be extending the range of 1mb, the house I was lanning in this weekend was previously restricted to 512k being at 5kms, but recently was able to upgrade to 1mb.

To be fair (everyone seems to be using that expression on this thread so I thought I would too)

I think Ariel meant that MT's broadband is not capped regarding how much you can download in a month. Not the restrictions in place on file sharing applications.

Archived