They're Checking Your Speed...

Lonan3

these hose things across the road, the ones I have seen are about a foot apart and nailed down every few feet, how can you claim any sort of accuracy with that sort of spacing, it would depend on the settings of the pressure detectors and the presure in the hose and the diameter of the wheels, surely a couple of IR beams at more like 17.6yards would be more accurate and meaningful.

Surely they are only adequate for counting vehicles and direction of travel.

(I also very much doubt the accuracy of the flashing smiley signs as well)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it was Focus ST's, which are quicker than ST170's and RS's.

Yeah your probably right, i'm confusing my focuses aswell! :lol:

I've seen those black pipes around all sorts of places (normally just a yard or so before the boarder of 30mph zone!), I can't imagine they're that accurate, surely they'd need to calculate the pressure and distance it took from one strip to the other?

they'd be better with a speed "Monitoring" camera, its unlikely to get torched on a main road!, they'd easily see by painting 2 white lines across the road how long it took to pass them and calculate the speed)

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. So what if road users are going faster than 100mph? The road has no speed limit, there hasn't been any more accidents than anywhere else and remember, it is part of the TT circuit race track.

Go out on any Sunday afternoon and you will see the bikers ripping it up over the mountain at massive speeds.

If you choose to drive on the Mountain Road you take a risk, it is your choice.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. So what if road users are going faster than 100mph? The road has no speed limit, there hasn't been any more accidents than anywhere else and remember, it is part of the TT circuit race track.

Go out on any Sunday afternoon and you will see the bikers ripping it up over the mountain at massive speeds.

So, have I got this right? Anyone who gets hit by a high speed lunatic on the mountain road (paid for by all of us, and the primary function of which is to convey vehicles and their passengers to and from Ramsey/Douglas) only have themselves to blame? Jesus, all island limit now please.

I thought it was Focus ST's, which are quicker than ST170's and RS's.

Yeah your probably right, i'm confusing my focuses aswell! :lol:

I've seen those black pipes around all sorts of places (normally just a yard or so before the boarder of 30mph zone!), I can't imagine they're that accurate, surely they'd need to calculate the pressure and distance it took from one strip to the other?

they'd be better with a speed "Monitoring" camera, its unlikely to get torched on a main road!, they'd easily see by painting 2 white lines across the road how long it took to pass them and calculate the speed)

wasent the one that was up north on a main road, and it got torched

It's a 'race track' for 4 weeks a year, the other 48 it's a public road

Driving down a motorway at 100+ on a three lane road where traffic is moving in the same direction and kept apart from opposing traffic by a twin barrier armco is relatively safe, doing 100+ on a narrow B road where opposing traffic is a couple of feet away isn't!

...I've no sympathy for any of them when it all goes tits up

So 2 cars or bikes heading towards each other at 100mph+ separated only by thin air isn't dangerous?

So 2 cars or bikes heading towards each other at 100mph+ separated only by thin air isn't dangerous?

I agree that it is dangerous and some of the antics that go on up on the Mountain are utterly barmy. However, this is part of the TT circuit and our Government choose not to regulate it. Therefore, when you travel on the Mountain road, you must accept that you are taking a risk. There is a proportion of road users on the Island who believe they have a God given right to drive at speeds over the ton. I don't understand why anybody needs to do that and put life in danger in such a way. However, there is no speed limit and until a mishap occurs then they keep on driving/riding in such a way. Crazy eh?

I did get some info the other day (not validated) that suggested normal road tyres lose their grip in the cold weather. (Sub 4 deg) Below that, specific winter tyres should be fitted. With that in mind, does that make using the Mountain even less safe?

60 mph is more than fast enough for the mountain road. It will inevitably be brought in just as the TT will inevitably be discontinued so it might as well be sooner rather than later. Long bans should then follow for transgressors of the speed laws but it would only be fair to offer mandatory counselling sessions to allow a psychiatrist to try to get to the bottom of what are almost certainly deeply buried insecurities. Why do certain people feel the need for speed? The need to carry out some bizarre fantasy of motor racing genius reminds me very much of small children role playing. You know, doctors and nurses, football hero, that sort of thing. Luckily most people grow out of this and become well balanced adult humans. People who drive fast don't seem to have done. They appear to have to live their lives as somebody they are not. Of course, it's only fair that they pay for the sessions, after all it's for their own good.

60 mph isn't fast enough for the mountain road. No speed limit will be brought in as the TT will inevitably go on for many years to come . So the minimum speed limit of 60mph might as well be brought in sooner rather than later. Long bans should then follow for transgressors of the speed laws but it would only be fair to offer mandatory counselling sessions to allow a psychiatrist to try to get to the bottom of what are almost certainly deeply buried insecurities. Why do certain people feel the need to do 20, 30, even 40 mph? The need to carry out some bizarre fantasy of slow motor racing genius reminds me very much of small children role playing, just like keyboarder making useless posts trying to provoke a response You know, doctors and nurses, football hero, that sort of thing. Luckily most people grow out of this and become well balanced adult humans, just like keyboarder. People who drive slow don't seem to have done. They appear to have to live their lives as somebody they are not, just like like Keyboarder posting anonymously on an internet forum. Of course, it's only fair that the Government pay for the sessions, after all it's for their own good.

Archived