Russel Grant Escapes Big Brother And Moves To Ellan Vannin!

Cronky

Do I detect a touch of animosity and homophobia here? Is there a problem that a guy who is some kind of celebrity should want to move and live here?

No animosity here, I quite like the idea of the Island being a haven for minor celebrities. We've had Jeremy Clarkson, Rick Wakeman, Cynthia Lennon, Nigel Mansel, That Guy from Sliders, Andy Kershaw, and now Russel Grant, and I want more!

It makes me sick to see multiple threads proclaiming how wonderful it is to live here, but as soon as someone reasonably well known moves here, out come all the sniping one liners about their PRIVATE life.

That's because they're supposed to want to come here, but we're supposed to fight them off with herring and intolerable folk songs about bracken so we can enjoy our moment of feeling that little bit special without having to share it with anyone else.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Telling jokes about homosexuality is not illegal, and not even about to become illegal even under the proposed UK legislation going through at present - which is aimed at tackling hatred and violence toward gays and lesbians etc. Just because a few people make a few wisecracks, doesn't infer rampant homophobia.

RG has made a living out of being gay himself, and has been popularised through being caricatured by many comedians and impersonators over the years. It's what makes many women daytime tv fans love him, just as they do several other gay TV presenters.

That said, people shouldn't confuse tolerance with approval, which are wholly different things, especially to religious types and some in the forces etc. People have their views - and you can't legislate for that (other than against hatred and violence), you can only educate. Personally I hope he settles in well and does his bit for the community too. But if we all took life so seriously, as some would have us do, there wouldn't be a comedian working anywhere in the country.

RG has made a living out of being gay himself,

I thought he made his living giving hocus pocus advice based on horoscopes, as opposed to being Russel Grant, Professional Gay Man.

He has used it as a USP, especially to his audience. Know any more pervayors of horror-scopes that have made it that big?

He has used it as a USP, especially to his audience. Know any more pervayors of horror-scopes that have made it that big?

Mystic Meg, and that awful Jonathan Cainer guy are both pretty successful (the latter reputedly being amongst the highest earning astologers in the country)

Just looked at Russell Grant's website. In addition to tatty old astrology crap it's also selling certificates of ownership of land on the Moon, Venus, and other bodies in the solar system which (of course) amount to nothing (in the words of the British National Space Centre, the UN Outer Space treaty forbids anyone from claiming ownership of outer space, including the moon). Same deal with naming stars, which Russell also offers through his website.

This is pretty important stuff. Combined with Davey Howe's efforts it's only a matter of time before the Isle of Man becomes one of the world's leading retailers of meaningless certificates.

I may not be a fan of Russell Grant - I think astrology is utter cobblers and his overtly 'camp' style is a total turn off - but that is his public persona and I hope he'll be allowed some peace and privacy if and when he settles here.

We used to have a reputation for taking little notice of 'celebrities' who moved here. It was one of the attractions - the fact that they were able to get on with their lives without constantly being bothered by 'fans.' I would hope that the same courtesy will continue to be offered in the future and we'll allow such people to find the peace and contentment they're seeking.

No animosity here, I quite like the idea of the Island being a haven for minor celebrities. We've had Jeremy Clarkson, Rick Wakeman, Cynthia Lennon, Nigel Mansel, That Guy from Sliders, Andy Kershaw, and now Russel Grant, and I want more

Lets have our very own Stella Street

Lets have our very own Stella Street

That's precisely what I was thinking, and I'm not going to be happy until Dennis Waterman, The guy who played Lewis in Inspector Morse, and Clare Raynor relocate to the Island. Just think of how wonderful it would be: Our school and church fetes need never again lack a middling celebrity presence when its time hand out the tombola prizes. Then we'll be in the big leagues,. Then we'll be able to hold our head high and say "eat that, Whitehaven"!

Archived