Woman Robbed In Douglas Alley

%age

Isle of Man Newspapers IoM Today Website

The police said this type of incident is rare in the Isle of Man, which is fair comment.

When I came to the Island in the mid 1990s I was often told how rare drug crime was. Many seemingly knowledgeable locals used to spout that it was only soft drugs here and there would never ever be heroin on the Island.

I guess that was the thin edge of a pretty hefty wedge.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The police said this type of incident is rare in the Isle of Man, which is fair comment.

When I came to the Island in the mid 1990s I was often told how rare drug crime was. Many seemingly knowledgeable locals used to spout that it was only soft drugs here and there would never ever be heroin on the Island.

I guess that was the thin edge of a pretty hefty wedge.

...so imagine the headlines in another 20 years. Time we re-enforced the work permit system and sorted out our immigration act before it gets worse IMO, as the way things are currently heading things will get far worse. Import a load of low skilled workers without checking them out properly (e.g. CRB check) into a relatively 'rich' society, where rents and prices are generally high, drugs are available - as well as giving local teenagers sod all to do, except hang around and get drugged/drunk - and you are asking for trouble. £5 says this was an immigrant worker (UK/EU), or some unemployable drugged-up (or about to be drugged-up or pissed-up) local yob.

Freedom of movement means many things to many people, and it is not just about being able to freely move around Europe, it also means being able to move freely around Douglas without fear of being robbed, or worse. So given the opportunity, and we already have the opportunity to check out these people through the work-permit system, what's wrong with using it properly? What's wrong with policing our ports properly? In several hundred trips I've been stopped twice, once in a van (and that was all about the possibility of using hookey fuel), and only dog sniffed once with the car (there doesn't ever seem to be much activity looking for drugs at all). There should be sniffer dogs at the sea-terminal for every SP boat in, as well as more random checks on yachts and at the sorting office - to deter people from bringing drugs in. If you work out how much it costs to catch, convict and then keep someone in prison for years, never mind the human cost to society, the cost of doing this on a small island is small potatoes.

This incident, like all similar incidents is the result of a chain of events, many of which are actually under our control, and yet we are collectively sitting on our arses doing sod all about most of them, left to moan about things getting worse.

£5 says this was an immigrant worker (UK/EU), or some unemployable drugged-up (or about to be drugged-up or pissed-up) local yob.

So what you're saying is the local yob has to be drugged-up/pissed up (or about to be?!) to commit this crime whereas this sort of behaviour comes naturally to immigrant workers?

£5 says this was an immigrant worker (UK/EU)

Bit early to call isn't it Herr Tatlock?

Yet again, you missed half of the sentence, never mind the rest of the post, you quoted. Anyone can snatch a line like that and comment on it.

£5 says this was an immigrant worker (UK/EU), or some unemployable drugged-up (or about to be drugged-up or pissed-up) local yob.

So what you're saying is the local yob has to be drugged-up/pissed up (or about to be?!) to commit this crime whereas this sort of behaviour comes naturally to immigrant workers?

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm simply saying that people rob people for a reason - and that most people who have a reasonable job, who aren't addicted to drugs, who don't have a drink problem, who don't have money problems, who are decent people, and don't have a record - are less likely to rob - local or immigrant. You have to read what I said in the context of the post i.e. doing something about it to minimise crime, such as being more careful deciding who settles here (CRB checks), taking more action to remove drugs from circulation, and giving facilities etc. to youngsters so that they don't have to hang around drinking on street corners.

Did that article mention that it was a drug crime?

No, sorry I didn't intend to imply it was. My point was that mugging, like the dreaded heroin thing, was something that was virtually unheard of here.

As another example, car theft and joy-riding probably happened once a year but now seems quite a weekend occurrence.

Anyway, I'm sure the mugger didn't do it because he wanted a loaf of bread to keep his starving children alive. But I don't really know.

The taxi driver that picked us up at the weekend was telling us that all radio calls to his base are recorded on disk/tape for possible use by the Police. He must be a member of this forum as he told me to take a look in. Is recording of such things common here on the Island or just a one off.

Yet again, you missed half of the sentence, never mind the rest of the post, you quoted. Anyone can snatch a line like that and comment on it.

Perhaps, but blaming a single incident on the foreigners and chavs before anything else is known is a bit premature in my view.

Perhaps, but blaming a single incident on the foreigners and chavs before anything else is known is a bit premature in my view.

I know what you mean, but isn't that approach a bit OTT before anything else is known?

I can't understand why they wont use sniffer dogs all year round. There are two boats a day at the moment so how hard can it be!! Presumably it is all about cost but I think drug use is such a huge problem now that something should be done.

I have travelled to and fro for many years and when i have had the car searched it is such a joke its not worth bothering. I have never had my car searched by a dog and would certainly be alot happier about the search process if I thought it was worth doing

The taxi driver that picked us up at the weekend was telling us that all radio calls to his base are recorded on disk/tape for possible use by the Police. He must be a member of this forum as he told me to take a look in. Is recording of such things common here on the Island or just a one off.

I'd suggest it was a wind up. Such calls cannot be recorded without informing the caller that it is being done. The details of a call - name, pick up and drop off point - are, of course, recorded.

Archived