"domestic" Rates

Addie

From Manx radio

New system of domestic rating planned

Treasury Minister Allan Bell (pictured) has announced that he intends to seek a change in the Isle of Man's rating system.

In a letter to members of Tynwald he says that, following a pilot study,

his department proposes to introduce a system of domestic rating based on capital values.

The decision has been endorsed by the Council of Ministers.

Members of Tynwald have been invited to a briefing on Tuesday, November 30 to explain the principles and implications of the proposals.

Mr Bell has also advised members that he intends to take the matter to the January, 2005 sitting of Tynwald.

Now then, the words domestic ratingleap out at me here.

What if I ran, say, a guesthouse?

Would this domestic rating based on capital values assessment apply I wonder?

Bah the link seems to have changed and I can't be arsed searching for it on their site.

Do they mean the value of your property or your income when they state 'Capital Values'?

I for one won't be happy if my rates go up yet again, I'm sick of paying what I do as it is.

No addie, if you had a guest house you will probably get a government subsidy to help you with your rates.

It's the humble mortgage payers that'll get hammered on this one I reckon. Which will give nobody any incentive to buy there own property.

All speculation of course.

Try Manx Radio then click News

It's item four in the list.

Why don't they just put up direct links?

Addie, I've been wondering that for a while.

Could a web-technie explain why the address is always www.manxradio.com no matter where you navigate to?

Yes. Thanks a lot. I've been saving the screens as bitmaps. (duhhh).

I might have sussed it eventually, I don't know. Is it a more efficient way of designing a website or something? Credit where its due, the new Manx Radio website is not bad and it's obviously still developing.

Thanks again, TOG and Rip.

A lot of people dislike framed sites because they make linking / bookmarking difficult. They also aren't very search engine friendly and links to internal pages can sometimes leave use user with no visible means of further navigation. A site designer can code the pages to see if they're not in a frame and redirect to a framed version if this happens.

I use frames on one of my sites because it's for a limited audience and frames work OK in this particular instance but a lot of people think frames are the work of the devil

Archived