How Should The South Of The Island Look?

triskelion

RESIDENTS of the South of the Island are to be asked for their views on how the area should look in the future.

Their comments on where housing and other development should, or should not, be permitted will help to shape the Southern Area Plan, the first of four regional plans which will cover the whole Island.

The area plans (North, South, East and West) will add local detail to the high-level framework of policy guidance provided by the Isle of Man Strategic Plan, approved by Tynwald in July last year.

Preparation of the Southern Area Plan – taking in Malew, Arbory, Rushen, Castletown, Port Erin and Port St Mary – will begin soon with an information-gathering exercise including public views and comments.

That's easy: bulldoze Port Erin, build a lovely park in its place, then build gigantic tower blocks in Ramsey and move the displaced population and the potential inhabitants of any proposed development there instead.

Vote for me next election.

Cast your mind back to the general election.

I bet that they all got voted in on the back of such pledges to introduce more amenities (Yes - a sports centre instead of the £14m marina please), affordable housing and better/safer roads.

You could argue that it is a complete waste of money for another expensive process where the public in the South (The few that will actually bother sending it in) will probably request more amenities, cheaper housing, better roads etc.

I could be wrong, there are some people out there who actually inspire community stagnation, asset stripping and demolition. Come to Port Erin and see it in action.

Why do we have to go through this costly and time consuming process when our political representatives are supposed to be in touch with the electorate? Surely they can do the obvious and lobby Tynwald to spend the money on the basic wants that we all know are needed down here.

Why is every decision put to consultation? We should abandon politicians elected on promises they seem unable or unwilling to deliver, and just have civil servants taking ballots on each matter of policy.

Next, it will be Pam Crowe putting out a consultative document, after an initial feasibility study at M&S: 'Does my bum look big in this?'

Why is every decision put to consultation? We should abandon politicians elected on promises they seem unable or unwilling to deliver, and just have civil servants taking ballots on each matter of policy.

This is as a result of the people of Ballasalla telling Shimmin to sodoff ! Long overdue i think. Did we want Iris ? Was Jurby really the best place for the prison ? Do the people of Jurby really want a 2 million pound racetrack built through the middle of the "industrial estate" ?

Stop closing all the pubs (or poncing them up) down here.

Hear! Hear! Least they've left The Sidings and The Viking alone (for now).

I, for one, believe they should stop asking the old people what they think, as they all seem to think that there is nothing wrong with the way things are (Callows Yard development and the consultation on the parking/traffic management in Castletown spring to mind). Anything that'll breath life into the towns in the south has to be a good thing. I'm sick of coming to Douglas and having to queue for an hour in every single shop to get served (or am I just sick of coming to Douglas?).

Stop closing all the pubs (or poncing them up) down here.

If people started coming out to the pubs maybe they would stop closing, some times I get the feeling that I'm single handedly tryin to keep the local hostilaries in business!

There have been hundreds of new houses built in Port Erin over the last few years but no sign of the increased in population to be seen in the pubs.

Archived