Stupid Question

ThieBane

OK - so, this may be a stupid question but we're just examining the possibility of getting away for our first family holiday with our 9 month old baby. We want to go on the boat so we can take the car and the outrageous amount of equipment we appear to require to leave the house for more than 3 hours with a small child.

Just checked on the Steam Racket site for some approximate prices. We decided we would splash out and get a cabin on the Ben to make it a bit easier to entertain the little fella. I am frankly staggered by the cost and wondered if I was being naive. I've never been away in peak season as such, but even so...

Car + 2 passengers (+ baby)

2 weeks from Sat 14th June

£338

Does this sound expensive to anyone else? Maybe this is the way it is with children - summer = peak fares but it still seems a bit steep.

Any thoughts??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just booked a ferry from plymouth-santander late august, overnight cabin £1307.00 Steam-packet douglas-heyshem £290.00

Price for 2 adults 1 child 7.5 meter motorhome.

Its not just the steam packet that know how to charge,

The £338, includes the £74 for the cabins I guess, so £264 without.

Even going overnight (Out Fri 1945 back Sun 0215) would only save £13 (£325), cos you get clobbered with the overnight cabin excess on the way back.

Without cabin on those sailings would bring it down to £228. With the baby being that age, travelling overnight shouldn't be too bad, although I'd want a cabin personally.

Only cheaper way appears to be Thursday - Thursday, any sailings / any port which would be £208, or £282 with cabins on the Ben.

Noel Coward - not known for his like of children - was once at a dinner party when a proud and beaming young couple entered with their new offspring in a carry cot.

"Oh" exclaimed Mr Coward drily "Are you expecting burglars?"

It does seem steep really. I just booked car + me + infant + child to go away for TT week and it was £240. Given the elevated charges around TT time, for another time in June to be more expensive seems odd.

I thought at TT they are desperate to fill the return sailings though? What I mean is, in the first week they bring a lot more people in than out, so they want to try and encourage people on the return to UK sailings, and vice versa at the end of the second week. Maybe that explains why it is cheaper at TT?

I think it's because you have chosen weekend days to travel - it's usually cheaper to go mid week if possible, but with work that's not usually ideal for most people which is why weekends are more expensive <_<

Just booked a ferry from plymouth-santander late august, overnight cabin £1307.00 Steam-packet douglas-heyshem £290.00

Price for 2 adults 1 child 7.5 meter motorhome.

Its not just the steam packet that know how to charge.

Which makes the Steam Racket about twice the going rate...

a bugbear of mine - sometimes, though not always, it is cheaper to book car + driver and then again for foot passenger + child.

I think it's a disgusting tactic of the racket and not quite sure why they do it, but I saved £50 going to Ireland and £30 going to UK lastyear. I did similar for my parents in September and saved near £100 by that method and moving the holiday duration in by one day

The £338, includes the £74 for the cabins I guess, so £264 without.

Even going overnight (Out Fri 1945 back Sun 0215) would only save £13 (£325), cos you get clobbered with the overnight cabin excess on the way back.

Without cabin on those sailings would bring it down to £228. With the baby being that age, travelling overnight shouldn't be too bad, although I'd want a cabin personally.

Only cheaper way appears to be Thursday - Thursday, any sailings / any port which would be £208, or £282 with cabins on the Ben.

Poole - Cherbourg on Brittany ferries is a similar distance crossing, at 2¼ hours for the fast craft and 4½ hours for the conventional ferry.

I put in the same dates, with and without a cabin on the way back, and it came to £280 with a cabin and £265 without (but 3 reserved recliners). This is on the high-speed vessel to France, normal one back. If you change it to a normal ferry in both directions, with a cabin both ways, then the prices go up to £310.

If you went for the high-speed vessel in both directions, with the free general seats scrum, it would be £255 return, or £267 if you take up the reserved recliners option.

Prices look pretty similar

Archived