Stupid Question

ThieBane

Just booked to go away at Easter weekend via La'pool....we are booked on the VIKING....whatever that is?

You know you are going to have to row, with being on a Viking ship and all.......

Fighting fit buddy?

Ah all becomes clear.....yes on the mend now thanks. All set to take all your cash on Saturday night!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the other two thousand people (sorry, numpty sheep) who signed the petition?. I suppose you have better things to do with your time than address their concerns?

I don't get chummy with the locals.

Roughly, I get 53p per mile on Red Funnel (Soton-Cowes) and 46p per mile on the Steam Packet (Douglas-Liverpool).

What I don't understand is........................ how they justify the cost variations?

Travelling to UK for easter weekend varied from £172 to £362. And why is it more expensive to travel at the weekend?

Then the £5 per head fuel charge?

What is covered in the fee?

Bear in mind the BEN is a freight boat and the freight has already covered the cost of the crossing......

And why does it take so b***** long?

When I first started using the boat there was a cinema on it (can't remember which one it was now), now you have to stand over the play area to watch the enclosed space as the bigger kids pull all the padding off the walls! Easy on the Ben with the seating arrangement but not so easy on the SeaCat.

First thing I'd do if I won the lottery is buy a boat

(after I'd bought a car and moved out of my counsil house into the one I've bought!)

What dates did you actually book Sat to Sat, Sat to Fri?

Let's do an online experiment and see what different results people get over time.

How that was interesting, results as follows

All are car plus 2 adults and 1 infant, Travelling on Sat 7th of June and returning on Sat 14 of June

CalMac Oban to Barra (Longest Crossing) £249.00 (5-7 Hrs each way)

Condor Portsmouth to Jersey ( Conventional Ferry) £320.00 (10.5 Hrs each way)

Irish Ferries Pembroke to Rosslare £204.00

Steam Packet Douglas to Heysham £366.00 (No Crossing on Sat 7th so travel on Friday 6th

Yes we are getting ripped off!!!!!!!!

Hi Manxman and All. Yes, I am a Newbie. I joined a few days ago because I am interested in the Isle Of Man. I have friends in Port St Mary, and I used to be on the Ben my Chree every week day as a Ships Chandler based in Heysham. I have now retired to Cyprus. Maybe the high fares were to fund my retirement :D

Regards. Trev..

Deliberately daft weekend to choose,ensures you weren't comparing like with like.

Friday saturday end TT weewk, everyone wanting off island. fares at their peak of season. What is hapening on te other routes to make thy demand and price comparable

Wightlink £128 no cabin 35 minute crossing with ferries on 6 routes between two operators and departures at two hourly intervals 24.00 to 06.30 and every 45 minutes during the day, 24 crossings per day on one route alone

Thats about £750 for the same time as on the Ben

Thanks John.

:)

I recently crossed on the Ben, the fare its self was not too bad, £135 for a car, 2 passengers and a dog, I couldnt believe the cost of a cabin though on the 2.15am sailing, almost £70!! and just for a few hours.

Did you know it costs £2,000 for a trailer like the ones Tesco and M&S use. If they just have one trailer a day they are paying almost £30,000 a week between them, and I know they usually receive more than one a day.

Hi Manxman,

yes I'm new to this forum, but not the Isle or the debate about the Steam Packet.

John, why is a Holiday weekend a bad time to choose to go on holiday and the point is that it is VERY like for like if your are travelling on the same day. read the post again the price range was for the same day, and no the cheaper fares are not the night sailings.

The Ben is a freight boat which has been adapted to carry passengers. If you read Saxos post about the charges you will understand more where I'm coming from. Also the link from The Voice of Reason I feel backs my statment.

The crossing from Douglas to Heysham can been done in 2.25 hrs, the travel slowly to conserve fuel (which we have paid an extra £5 per head for).

Now I realise I'm about to be linched but I believe this forum is open to anyone with something to say.

Archived