Stupid Question

ThieBane

I would imagine because you are choosing probably the IOMSP's busiest day of the year (being the day after Senior Race Day, when a lot of the fans and racers are going home, hence the inability to get a crossing on the 7th - fully booked, I would imagine.)

Do the same quote for the following weekend (out Saturday 14th, back Saturday 21st) and the price drops to £254. Still second highest, but more appropriate.

The Ben has a service speed of 18-19kts, and from what I can see, Heysham to Douglas is 59nm - 59/18 = 3.28 hours. Add in the lower speed sections at the two harbours, and they 3.5 hour crossing is about right for that service speed, isn't it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ben is and always was a dual purpose boat to carry freight and passengers. It does not make sense to have, as the staem packet did until late 70's , 8 boats, 2 freighters, four car ferries and two old passenger only boats

They ran two car ferries in winter, often with half a dozen passengerts and 20 white ford transit drivers and thw whole fleet only operated fully for four weeks of the yera and then only at 50% capacity. (full to the TT empty back and full from the TT enpty back)

The ferries have not yet moved onto the easyjet model or ryanair model of cheap fares to attract passengers early on and increasing fares later. They still work on the old fashioned 100 passengers and 25 cars at x, next volume at Y with higher fares from the start at time of greatest demand, ie weekends and peak travel time (and no cheapies then).

So choose the busiest weekend of the Manx year to compare with quiet weekends on other routes is not a fair fare comparison. There are sailings on 7th but they are full, and have been for months.

Manxman2000

I repetaed the exercise for comparative costs

2 adults one child one car return, no trailer or cabin

I used 14 and 21 June for travel dates (weekend peak) and chose morning sailings. I also used 17 and 24 June same criteria (midweek off peak)

IOMSPCO £276 and £218

Norfolk Line Dublin Liverpool or Belfast Liverpool £264 and £264

Calmac Oban to Barra £271 and £271

Irish Pembroke Rosslare £214 and £193.2

Condor Dorset Jersey £331 to £458 and £332 to £399

I'm not an IOMSPCo apologist but it seeme comparable and rsaonable to me, especially with no competition. All other routes have competition and Calmac gets a subsidy for providing social services to the Islands. The subsidy is £20 million and covers passenger fares. It amounts to one third turnover

Then the £5 per head fuel charge?

What is covered in the fee?

I would suggest the clue is in the title "Fuel Surcharge".

Have you not noticed the increases in fuel lately? I certainly can't fill my tank for the same that I did a month ago, never mind last year. I wonder how my local station would react if I filled up but only wanted to pay the price it was advertised as 12 months ago?

IIRC it's only been applied for the last couple of years, whereas I can remember paying a fuel excess on flights for many years. They have to seperate it from fares because the annual increases are capped under the User agreement. (inflation less .5% I think).

So why are they so coy about their profits?

LINK TO STORY

The Chief Executive of the Packet Mark Woodward and the firms Commercial manager John Watt were answering questions in a public hearing before the Committee headed by Keys Speaker Steve Rodan and members of Tynwald. It is looking into running of the Packet.

After being probed about pricing structures and services on the craft, it was put to Mr Woodward that their profit quadrupled between 2002 and 2006 from £4 million to £17 million. It was also suggested that in the last financial year, 2006, 36% of turnover was profit.

Mr Woodward conferred with his legal representative and declined to answer the question until he had taken further advice. He is due to appear before the Committee again early in March.

A profit of £17M equates to £212.50 for every man woman on child on the island (80,000). If that profit per person was extended to the 60 millon population of the UK, it would mean a profit of £12.75 billion (BPs profits were just announced as £13.9 billion - now that's what you call a f***ing fuel surcharge).

Completely meaningless, but something interesting to do whilst I was eating my pasty.

Someone (forgive me short term memory lasp) was on the front page of the Courior last week saying the way forward was quality hotels, to boust the tourism industry, have we not have quailty hotels before?

Castletown golf link in it's day, now closed.

That one in Ramsey (sorry again) Closed.

All the B&Bs, Guest houses and Hotels on Douglas front, closed or appartments

Surely your don't have to be a poor person to realise that the way forward is to have cheaper fares on and off the Isle.

I'm no mathamatision but.....

If I pay £336 twice a year = £672 (believe me I wouldn't pay that much)

but if the fare was £100 i'd go more often family and freinds would come here more often (even if we went for 5 of the Bank holiday weekend that £500)

My Father and his wife, last year, paid less to fly from Glasgow to Tenerife with 2 weeks SC accomidation, than they would have to fly to here.

(sorry I realise thats the Airline not the SP but it's a point of fact).

Ready for my flogging ;)

I must be in a minority, but I never have thought the Steam Packet overly expensive in consideration of the service offered. They provide a generally good service in a difficult sea for a small population. If we had attractions on the Island which would make mass travel a possiblity, then the passenger service becomes viable and sustainable. Perhaps it would be easier to have lower fares in that case.

I think the knockers need to get a grip on the reality of our situation, it's not the Steam Packet's job to attract people here, that is the DTL's remit. They can only provide fares and a service commensurate with the level of business available to them.

Just 2 ideas to generate more passengers:

A proper Univeristy based on the Island? (A nice safe environment to send your little darlings to)

A purpose built motorsport venue? (Could be busy most of the year)

Both mean more temporary visitors and residents bringing their cash into the Island and not requiring residency or permanent housing! Growth of the Islands infrastructure would be the beneficial result!

• 4 weeks later...
I repetaed the exercise for comparative costs

2 adults one child one car return, no trailer or cabin

I used 14 and 21 June for travel dates (weekend peak) and chose morning sailings. I also used 17 and 24 June same criteria (midweek off peak)

IOMSPCO £276 and £218

Norfolk Line Dublin Liverpool or Belfast Liverpool £264 and £264

Calmac Oban to Barra £271 and £271

Irish Pembroke Rosslare £214 and £193.2

Condor Dorset Jersey £331 to £458 and £332 to £399

I'm not an IOMSPCo apologist but it seeme comparable and rsaonable to me, especially with no competition. All other routes have competition and Calmac gets a subsidy for providing social services to the Islands. The subsidy is £20 million and covers passenger fares. It amounts to one third turnover

AFAIK CalMac give discounts to the Island residents they serve, so the residents of Barra would pay less than the quoted price, although this is probably covered by the subsidy.

I don't think the IOMSPCO is bad value, but surely the fact it's a private company and therefore ran for profit means we all pay more than if it only ran to break even, cover inflationary rises etc.

Although I do wish they'd reopen the Ardrossan route, would save me a 4 hour drive to Scotland from Heysham every time I went back......

AFAIK CalMac give discounts to the Island residents they serve

Calmac are subsidised. It'd never be allowed to catch on here, but McBank's IOW ferry company has Island Resident fares, and I don't think they get subsidies?:

Wightlink Resident Fares

Their competior, Red Funnel, does discounts for frequent travellers:

Red Funnel Frequent Travellers

Whatever happened to "Sail and Save"?

Archived